Heli Coil - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Head gaskets are NEVER to be used over again on bi-metal motors, H&ll they hardly last with new gaskets and bolts. The cost of the heli-coil kit at Wal-Mart was $12.00. Machine shop gets $20.00+ plus cost of Heli- $8.00 plus cost of cleaning head,$15.00, plus a used aluminum head is going to need resurfacing in 90 percent of the cars. I Do it every day.
No offense Bob but I have reused head gaskets on many aluminum motors with no problems...almost nobody retorques them that is the reason why they sometimes don't last. Up here Walmart doesn't carry anything like helicoils...especially spark plug helicoils.

Not looking for an argument, just offering my opinion.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

I've re-used head gaskets that were supposedly not re useable, I think 4 Jaw is right, just re-torque them and you should be fine. Well... as long as the gasket isnt 20 years old or anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 08:19 AM

reusing head gaskets

when i was going to vo-tech in our engine course we had like 25 engines on stands. these are the engines we used to learn about tearing engines down all the measurements and also putting it back together. I was working on a old chevy inline 6 we reused gaskets that weren't broken and head gaskets were always reused unless defective then engine i worked on had been pulled apart like 23 times before me and I had it all put back together with out a head gasket leak ohly leak was lifter covers that was easily fixed by straightening them. yeas it wasn't a bi-metal engine but you can get away with reusing stuff its noit like he wants it to last forever. I would still go to a parts housse and buy the kit that cuts the oversized threads as it uses whats left of the original threads to pilot the tool.
Jesse
Old 03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

This brings up an interesting thought.

I wonder if just spraying the head with some copper gasket stuff would work with no head gasket. Hmmm.. I will have to try this one day when I get my hands on another junker lol, probably spray oil and coolant everywhere.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:03 AM

messes

would probally make about the same mess as a guy I was working next to he had pulled a ford 4.6 out of a truck pulled had it on the stand pulled the front cover then went to flip it upside down but he had forgot to drain the last of the anti freeze and the oil made on hell of a mess on the floor you wopuld probally have the same nasty mess. but would be fun and a learning curve. almost like taking an engine and seeing what all you can put down the carb before it blows. who cares its all ready on the trailer on the way to the yard kinda fun.
Jesse
Old 03-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

See now your just egging me on and I REALLY want to try it now!

Hehehe.. who do I know that has a POS just lying aroung
Old 03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Re: Heli Coil

Quote:
Originally posted by oldsF85
anyway the motor blew a spark plug out of the head and spilled gas everywhere over the engine block.

I'm sitting here thinking about this one.

I have used the thread sleeves that Bob mentioned many times and have yet to have a problem.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.