heli-coil for starter bolt hole repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

heli-coil for starter bolt hole repair

The outermost starter bolt hole on my sbc 350 (1970) seems to have been drilled out and tapped (at least partially) to 7/16. Can a heli-coil be used to restore it to 3/8?

I've read instructions for a 3/8 heli-coil kit and it says to use a 25/64 drill bit. That's smaller than 7/16. So it seems the 7/16 hole is too big for the 3/8 insert to seat properly.

If I can't reduce the threads back to 3/8 somehow, I guess I'll have to heli-coil the hole to 7/16 and drill out the starter from 3/8 to 7/16.

I've heard about a starter brace. I have a GMPP mini starter. How would I attach a starter brace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
The outermost starter bolt hole on my sbc 350 (1970) seems to have been drilled out and tapped (at least partially) to 7/16. Can a heli-coil be used to restore it to 3/8?
Probably not unless the 7/16 tapped hole is not too deep. Then you may be able to install a heli-coil deeper and use a longer bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
If I can't reduce the threads back to 3/8 somehow, I guess I'll have to heli-coil the hole to 7/16 and drill out the starter from 3/8 to 7/16.
You might consider using a "thread insert". They will work in situations where a heli-coil can not be used. I prefer heli-coils when they can be fitted.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

Thankyou for your suggestion Frisco.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There are many brands of thread inserts, one brand name is KeenSert. You can buy them at McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) among other places. They are thicker wall than helicoils. The other big advantage of a thread insert like this is that they typically have locking tabs that are tapped into place after the insert is installed. This prevents the insert backing out problem that is common with helicoils.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Joe, thanks. I did find some info on keenserts and also timeserts after Frisco mentioned thread inserts. As a matter of fact, I believe I saw a post from you mentioning keensert in reply to someone else's question, while I was researching thread inserts.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.