Hot Rod Forum banner

Hello!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
Like to introduce myself to you. I am an avid early Chevy fan. I am currently restoring my own 63. I am deciding if I want to put back the (gas hungry) original inline 292, or I can use a 350 out of a 1987 Chevy. I also have recently became the owner of a 305 Bigblock V6 out of a 66 GMC. I am leaning towards the 305 because it is rated High Performance. The ports in the 66 were expanded for better air flow and to improve fuel economy. The end result was a better performing, high output, low fuel consumption motor. I welcome everyone's input about this decision! The negative about this decision is that this motor is hard to find parts for and expensive when found. I guess a whole bunch of other rodders discovered them and don't want to let anything for them get out of their hands.

#3 ·
292 inline 6 is hungry no matter what configuration, the 305 GMC is a beast large, heavy and underpowered given to busting the crankshaft and troubled with casting cracks if slightly overheated. A 350 from an 87 is the start of electronic fuel injection, if it came from a truck and some passenger models as well it has Throttle Body Injection getting the computer and all the support equipment into an older truck is a pretty large effort requiring some better than average technical expertise in electronic engine mangement, wiring, and fuel systems. It can be converted to a carb fairly easily. It will have swirl port heads which are very good for the job a pick up is expected to to, they are not good for any perfomance work. However, the TBI 350 with the TBI would provide much better fuel mileage that any engne with a carb including the 292 I6 and 305 V6. So the effort to get all the injection stuff into the 63 will be rewarded in gas economy.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.