Hello all from Australia - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello all from Australia

Just wanted to say g'day to all on this site. I'm from Melbourne Australia and work in the automotive smash industry and have done so for the last 15 years. I hope I can gain a little knowledge from this site and give some in return. I am a spray painter who takes pride in his work and love what I do

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome aboard, we have quite a few guys fro "Down Under" on this site. There's a lot of good people with good information here and always welcome more. I'm a painter/body guy as well, look forward to hearing from you.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Welcome aboard, we have quite a few guys fro "Down Under" on this site. There's a lot of good people with good information here and always welcome more. I'm a painter/body guy as well, look forward to hearing from you.

Ray
Thanks Ray I appreciate your reply. I actually would like your opinion on a top coat spray gun, I have read an old thread which you highly recommend a devilbiss gti millenium. I'm after a new gun for solvent base & clear coat, at the moment I have a lph400 a satajet 1000rp, devilbiss startingline and a few other cheapies. Do you still use the gti millennium? I did own a tekna with 7e7 cap in the past but found that when I switched shops and paint systems the tekna really didn't like the ms clear. Also was interested in the sharpe razor compliant r these any good? Would love to hear your opinion.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Okay...these questions I can only answer with opinions...and what I like...I still use my GTI for clear, it breaks the material up better than any gun I've used...again, that's for me and the way I spray.

The LPH400 from Iwata, I feel is an excellent base coat gun for both solvent and water born base coats. It has a wide even pattern, great balance (which some people might think so what, but if your painting all day, balance can be the difference between coming home happy or coming home sore as hell and in even more pain in the morning).

I've sprayed with several different Tekna's, I liked every Tekna I've used...If you found that it didn't like the medium Solids Clear, then it may be worth your while to try the GTI...it does have a wider range of materials that you can adjust for compared to the Tekna. To be honest I can't say as i have sprayed a Tekna with a 7e7 cap.

I haven't tried the Sharpe Razor compliant R...and again, I can only offer opinions, I have a box full of Sharpe guns. One of the nice things about being a rep, you always have gun company's wanting to give you Paint Guns, just so they can say, so and so uses this gun, but I haven't found a Sharpe that I could really call my own, Just like most Sata's work well for me and I like to stick with what works.

I have been using the GTI for over 10 years, it still works...for me....and would recommend that a painter try it. What I like is the versatility and the wider adjustment band for fine tuning. With newer paints, it seems as though paint guns are becoming paint specific and I could see Paint manufacturer's teaming up with Paint Gun manufacturer's and giving the end user Gun specific techniques for their Paint. It's happening now with Water Born paints.

See if a Paint Rep has a GTI in his arsenal of guns, ask if you can try it before you buy one. Some people love the GTI for base...I think it sprays base a bit heavy for base, that's another reason why I like it for clear. In all my years of painting, I can look back at only 2 vehicles that I've walked around after it was painted and thought to myself "this vehicle wouldn't benefit from polishing". A Corvette I sprayed was one and it was cleared with a GTI.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Okay...these questions I can only answer with opinions...and what I like...I still use my GTI for clear, it breaks the material up better than any gun I've used...again, that's for me and the way I spray.

The LPH400 from Iwata, I feel is an excellent base coat gun for both solvent and water born base coats. It has a wide even pattern, great balance (which some people might think so what, but if your painting all day, balance can be the difference between coming home happy or coming home sore as hell and in even more pain in the morning).

I've sprayed with several different Tekna's, I liked every Tekna I've used...If you found that it didn't like the medium Solids Clear, then it may be worth your while to try the GTI...it does have a wider range of materials that you can adjust for compared to the Tekna. To be honest I can't say as i have sprayed a Tekna with a 7e7 cap.

I haven't tried the Sharpe Razor compliant R...and again, I can only offer opinions, I have a box full of Sharpe guns. One of the nice things about being a rep, you always have gun company's wanting to give you Paint Guns, just so they can say, so and so uses this gun, but I haven't found a Sharpe that I could really call my own, Just like most Sata's work well for me and I like to stick with what works.

I have been using the GTI for over 10 years, it still works...for me....and would recommend that a painter try it. What I like is the versatility and the wider adjustment band for fine tuning. With newer paints, it seems as though paint guns are becoming paint specific and I could see Paint manufacturer's teaming up with Paint Gun manufacturer's and giving the end user Gun specific techniques for their Paint. It's happening now with Water Born paints.

See if a Paint Rep has a GTI in his arsenal of guns, ask if you can try it before you buy one. Some people love the GTI for base...I think it sprays base a bit heavy for base, that's another reason why I like it for clear. In all my years of painting, I can look back at only 2 vehicles that I've walked around after it was painted and thought to myself "this vehicle wouldn't benefit from polishing". A Corvette I sprayed was one and it was cleared with a GTI.

Ray
Ok so are you saying that you have used the tekna with the 7e7 cap and you personally prefer the gti? What about a devilbiss cvi have you tried these, what do you think of them? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions ray. I have used the devilbiss plus gun in the past, didn't think much of it had a narrow fan and atomisation wasn't great. At the moment I'm finding it tuff to find anything I am comfortable with.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Actually what I think I said about the Tekna was that I had used one but not with the 7e7 cap. I've tried the Devilbus CVI gun, what I didn't like was the O type gasket, I think you'd be replacing them often. Now to be fair, I've only used a CVI with water born paint and to be hones, I did prefer the Iwata LPH 400...for both water born base and even clear compared to the CVI. As I mentioned, these are my opinions and in all probability reflect how I spray.

The Devilbus Plus guns to me are an entry level gun. They apply paint, they don't break up paint and give you a fighting chance to do that real killer job. Another thing about the plus guns is the balance, to me they feel top heavy, especially with a full pot of paint. If I'm doing a large flat surface like a hood, I do feel the added weight on my wrist.

I have a Sata that breaks up clear quite well, a 3000 if I'm right. I'm not in my shop right now and I can't remember 100% for sure, I don't use it that much but, for some thinner, lighter bodied clears it does a nice job. For me, the best gun again is the GTI. I just love the way it lays down clear and I can put it on what appears to be fairly wet and it lays down like glass. I don't know what kind of clears they have in Australia but, I'm sure they don't make that many different blends for each Country. PPG's 2021 clear, Nexa's 643 Clear they all work well with the GTI and I feel it's worth a try. I shoot my clears through the GTI with either a 1.4 or 1.3 tip. The 1.3 is a bit slower and if I use it I always make sure I either slow down my solvent or my catalyst (depending on the clear) just to be sure when I get around to where I was I don't have a dry edge, but, the 1.3 breaks up the clear so fine it feels like a your just putting on a gentle mist. I find it great if I'm clearing an area that has a bunch of angles or curves where I need to angle the gun to get into all those hard to get at places. You know, the ones (inside door jambs...or places like a Corvette where the rear glass has that inverted edge) that if your not real careful the clear is going to bunch up on you run. The 1.3 takes care of that and still gives you that great wet look shine without the usual potential for runs. Many people say that this isn't right, (using a 1.3 for clear) but right or wrong, what matters is the end results and what works for the painter.

I hope this helps, I've tried a lot of paint guns and realize that the GTI isn't the newest of technologies out there but, it has helped me lay down some nice paint work and I think it's worth a try for you. I'd hit up a paint rep for a demo gun to try, they usually have or have access to about any gun out there. I know I used to sell more paint guns for my jobbers by letting painters in shops try the equipment before they bought it.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Xchaser (04-18-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks Ray that was very informative, I will try my best to hunt up a gti millenium but because they are made in America there were never many around. Might have to just bite the bullet and buy one of eBay. Either that or the sharpe razor compliant, there the two I've narrowed it down to.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The GTI I am confident that it will do everything I have suggested. The Sharpe Razor, I haven't tried, that doesn't mean it's a bad gun...I just don't know. Let me know what you come up with, I'd be very interested in your feelings and or concerns.

Good luck my friend and I hope I've helped.

Best regards

Tay
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Hi Ray just a quick question do you use any compliant guns or do you prefer hvlp?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I use my Iwata 400 for water born base coat and sometimes for clear, but, for most cases I use my GTI, especially on larger areas...it just seems to work better...and as I mentioned, these are my opinions.

Ray
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Hi Ray just to let you know I have ordered a gti millenium, I'm very anxious to use it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Glad to hear it, I hope you like it as much as I like mine, let me know how it works after you try it.

Best Regards
Ray
Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 AM

Hi there Ray my gti arrived the other day with its new anodised finish, it came with 1.3,1.4 and 1.5 tip plus air adjusting gauge and even a gun hook. What a fantastic buy I must say, so far used the gun a couple times with the 1.4 setup which came in the gun. So far I'm loving this gun sprayed a light metallic blue today layed down beautiful blend was invisible and clear went on smooth. Which setup do you prefer do you go for the 1.3 or 1.4? So far I really like the 1.4 might give the 1.3 a go soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.