Hello fellow gear heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello fellow gear heads

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm planning on building my own frame up hot rod and could use some advice. Especially since this will be my very first build. Would you start with a frame or an engine? I want an open front bucket style rod so how big of an engine do I need? I'd normally never go with anything smaller than a SBC 350 but I've always done 4x4 builds up till now with a whole lot more weight. Would a 305 be a big enough power plant for the type of rod I want to build? I will have many more questions I'm sure, so I would like to thank you for your patience and your help ahead of time. I am ready for your answers and I am anxious to go out and get my first piece to the the puzzle.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
To be sure: BUILT IT YOURSELF

Last photo:

Hello, I am in the same boat... I chose to develop the engine first because I know the chassis I want. I prefer a 60's Chevy full frame vehicle, so I pretty much have those variables settled. Sounds like you do too.
Only advice I would give is to stray from the 305 and favor a 350. More parts available.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Tons depend on your expectations and your use.If you want a rod that drives like a car on rails around corners or or if you want a straight line monster.Power to wt ratios plays a major role in in the type of frame and choice of engine too.
Are you talking about building your own frame??. Do you have the welding equipment and skills to do that??.Are you talking about ref's to buy that??. Are you taking about finding a car and building from that??. Are you talking about buying a fiberglass body/kit??. All those things is the basis for the kind of help we can provide you with.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
RoddinRonnie (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM

I'm not looking to build a rail car at all, but I do want a car that is driveable more than in a straight line. So I guess simple answer is it will be more of a cruising car but I want it to have enough power for me to have fun driving it. I'm not planning on welding my own frame. I kind of like the idea of staying more era specific as far as a frame goes but I don't know if it's more efficient money wise to have one built so there is less modification and bracing. I'm not planning on buying a whole car and building from that I want to start with a frame and engine. I dont want to use a fiber glass body I want to go with real steel. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist at heart than a modern guy. My car doesn't need AC or power anything just a loud engine and an agressive look. That's what I think of as a true hot rod. I'm going more for a rat rod look. I appreciate your insight and look forward to your advice/help.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Plenty of guys stuff more power into a T bucket than they really need. Lets say you have a 2400 pound car with a 240hp V8; Thats the same power to weight ratio as a 3600 pound car with a 360hp V8 (10:1). If you're building something around a 100" wheelbase; understand that your suspension type and geometry, along with tire type and size are MORE important than raw power.

I would build a 350 with an induction setup built to the midrange and up. That way, you won't blow the tires off the car.

A couple guys on here are running 305s. You can get 300hp out of a 305 easy enough, and they're practically giving them away; throw a Performer RPM on there with a 650 carb. or 3x2bbl's. Gear it in the 3.50s with a TH350.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
RoddinRonnie (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM

I have only looked into buying an old frame from a 20's or 30's car and reinforcing it with some c-stock or 2x4 stock. Does it make more sense to have one built for the type of car and ride that I'm looking for? Can anyone recommend a company or website I can look into for a pre-made frame if that's the route I should go? Is it easier to build a suspension for an older production frame or for a fabricated frame?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM

welcome to the forum,,,
for a new build,dont waste your time on a 40 year old engine,get something modern

couple ideas, 2.2 cobalt/Sunfire/Cavalier engines,dirt cheap and 275 HP small turbo combinations everywhere,,,
Ls 4.8/5.3,dirt cheap 270 normally aspirated,after market wiring readily available,

2 liter normally aspirated Honda V-tec, 200 hp,wiring kits available(great mileage/drive ability)
many other common cars with great after market support
Mazda/Ford/Dodge/Nissan/Subie,,,,,,
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

This user Deckofficer is a class act as a person and owns class car that he has put through evolutions in engines.His real name is Bob and if you PM him,he can answer many of your questions.

My new baby arrived today

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.