hello first time doing body resto,questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 AM
got to love it stroked!

Wiki Edits: 0

hello first time doing body resto,questions

Ok I Have Never Welded But I Tought Myself How To (good Enough I Built A Rotisserie Out Of Two Engine Stands). I Replaced My Drivers Side Of The Body And About 4 Inches In, Im Really Happy How It Turned Out. Now Im Stripping All The Old Paint Off, I Need To Know What The Best Steps (for A Beginner) To Prime And Paint I Have Epoxy Primer From Eastwood Co. But I Havent Picked Final Color Yet. I Do Need To Do Some More Body Work Noty Rust Repair Just Leveling And Straighting. Any Help Would Be Great. Thank You

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Welcome, your questions are pretty open ended.

First off, aside from some body and paint advice I would day, take it slow. Start out by getting a panel into primer, blocked and reprimed ready for paint before moving on to the next. Start with something real easy like a firewall or something, just to get your feet wet.

I know nothing about the Eastwood primer. It isn't made by Eastwood (I woudln't assume) so knowing who made it may be of help. I just went thru the Eastwood catalog and don't see any epoxy at all. Is this a 2K REAL epoxy with a hardener and primer?

Do you have a paint and body supply store in your town you can go to? Getting something that is known to work well is better than a relabeled mystry can.

But once you have a panel stripped down to bare metal (assuming you plan on doing this) laying down an epoxy primer is the preferred way to go. Then you can do all your body work (filler) on top of it.

But using an epoxy, then all your filler work, then urethane primer as a "surfacer" to block your work to perfection, then paint (or seal and paint) is what you are after.

The final color you choose should be on your mind when picking out the final urethane primer or sealer. The color of this primer or sealer for your final paint can be important.

Do you have more detailed questions? Ask away.

Brian
Old 12-27-2006, 09:00 AM
boatbob2

rotisserie

Hi,yj383,i liked your idea on the building of the rotisserie out of 2 engine stands,can you post a how to,plus tell us what body you are lifting with it? have you had any problems with the rotisserie? im boatbob2
Old 12-27-2006, 05:54 PM
got to love it stroked!

Thanks For The Replies

HELLO MARTINSR
OK I STARTED THIS IN OCT. OF 05 SO I HAVE GONE SLOW LOL. I WANT TO DO IT RIGHT SO WHEN I DO SOMETHING I DONT LIKE I START OVER. I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT BY SUGGESTING ME STRATING ON THE FIREWALL BECAUSE, I HAD TO REPLACE ABOUT 1 SQUARE FOOT OF IT.
HERES INFO ON THE PRIMER EASTWOOD HAS THAT I HAVE.
Eastwood's Dark Gray Epoxy Primer Qt
When optimum adhesion to steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, copper, brass, sanded OEM finishes, cured paint and body fillers is required this is the primer to use. Wet sands after curing overnight at 75ºF. Mix 1 part Epoxy Primer with 1 part Epoxy Primer Catalyst (12002ZP). $34.99
Item No. 12001 ZP
LOL, I LIVE IN A REAL SMALL TOWN. WE HAVE VERY LITTLE HERE. NOTHING CLOSE TO PAINT STORE (OR HARDWARE OR RESTRANTS OR......) SO EVERYTHING I GET IS OUT OF MAGS. OR INTERNET (WHICH I JUST GOT MY FIRST PC SO IM NOT VERY GOOD WITH THEM LOL)SO I WOULD LIKE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT PAINTS ARE GOOD AND WHAT (WHY) PAINT I SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM!
NOW DONT LAUGH BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT ORDER TO DO WHAT!?! I TRY TO FIND STUFF ON THE COMPUTER(THATS HOW I FOUND THIS SITE) BUT IM NO GOOD WITH IT SO IS THERE A GOOD BOOK OR LINKS THAT TELL ME WHAT STEPS I SHOULD BE TAKING? AND YES ITS DOWN TO THE BARE METAL.BECAUSE I DONT KNOW STUFF LIKE WHEN TO SAND, WHAT GRIT WET OR DRY, IS IT PRIME FILL PRIME SEAL PAINT CLEAR COAT??AND I KNOW I SAND SOME MORE IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL THIS. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS :
I LOVE MY JEEP ITS REALLY FUN TO DO THIS STUFF AND IF IT TAKES YEARS ITS OK AND IF I MESS UP ITS OK JUST START AGAIN
Old 12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
got to love it stroked!

Rotisserie

Hi All
First I Bought 2 50.00 Dollar Engine Stands For Harbor Freight, I Put Them Together And About Half Way Up I Cut Them In Half(my Jeep Is A Little Over 5 Feet Wide) I Needed To Add 16'' To The Hight Of The Neck Of The Stands So It Could Spin Around With Out Hitting Anything.
Where You Would Nornally Install The Motors On The Stand I Welded 5 Foot Tubing( Use Something Strong So It Dont Flex)from And Old Rack I Had. Cut Holes About 2 X 4 And Installed 2x2 Sq. Tubing And Bolted It Down(i Bolted It So I Could Adjust It Side To Side) At The Other End Of The 2x2 I Welded The Brackets That Came With The Stands (the Ones That Hold The Motor On To The Stands) So I Could Bolt The Body Of The Jeep Using The Body Mount Holes.
At The Bottom Of The Stands I Welded 2x2x48 Legs That Fold Down So When I Turn It It Doesnt Tip. Now After I Connected The Body (had Body Hanging From Rafters) I Welded Bars At The Bottom To Connect The Two Stands Using 2x2 Tubing.
Now The Only Problem I Had Was My Tubing I Had For The Main Bars Was Flexing So I Welded Some Braces To It And It Works Great Now!!!
When Im Done I Will Give It Away. The Person Who Wants It Just Let Me Know And Find A Way To Get It. Oh It Has Had The Body Of The Jeep Plus Me(220lbs.) And A Friend (175) All At Once!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Stay away from any 1k products (not activated for cure). If you have it stripped to metal, the first thing I would do is use that epoxy primer and get it on the bare metal asap. Bare metal doesn't take all that long to start flash rusting, so you want it protected. The way I would go about it is strip a panel or two at a time, what you feel you can get done that day. If there is any metal replacement to be done or large dents, bang that out first and epoxy prime it. Any bodyfiller work you need to do then can be done over the epoxy primer without sanding, or by scuffing the epoxy with 180 grit first if past your epoxy manufacturers time window (most I've seen are a few days to a week to do it. Either way scuffing first wouldn't hurt anything or you just need the piece of mind. It would be very difficult to give you a step by step what to do not exactly knowing what you are dealing with, not to mention the space it would take up. I suggest you spend some time reading through past threads on here, cause most subjects have been covered many times before including grits. If you have any specific questions it will be easier to answer, just give a good description of what you are dealing with and what you are trying to accomplish. The guys on here are pretty good at answering questions and some really smart cookies that everyone can learn something from, weather a beginner, or been at it for a long time. Just think years ago before the internet, all we had to turn to is other bodymen we knew, books and are paint supplier.
Since you have to order your supplies, you may want to look at SPI's products. southernpolyurethanes.com Barry K, the owner, stops by this forum, or else questions can be asked by calling him or on the forum. Just follow the link on the company home page. Seems to have nice products at a reasonable price. I've only used the clear so far, but was shipped and on my doorstep two days later. They don't have a million different colors at this point like the bigger paint companys with millions of formulas available, but make very good primers, clears ect at a much better price then you will get from the big names like ppg, dupont ect. Everyone has there own products they like, but haven't heard anyone using the spi complain about it on here, other then someone who hasn't used it and doesn't like that people recommend it so often. I've used ppg for many years, and don't really have anything to complain to much about, but price is much higher. Ask 10 different painters what paint to use, and you might get 10 different answers on what is the best. You have to find out what you like using the best or works well for you, as well as the budget you have. Many products may look good at first, but a cheap price may mean it won't last and hold up as well. Ohh yeah, welcome to hotrodders.

Last edited by kenseth17; 12-27-2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out this link:

http://hotrodders.com/kb/body-exteri...rpainting.html

There is a lot more information in the Knowledge Base (link at the top of the page) on this site as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM

Last journal entry: cut, grind, and weld and then repeat...
Last photo:

martin sr,
Eastwood sells House of Color paint supplies. I was checking on the price jsut last week.

Leemoses
Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Yeah, I saw that they do, but I didn't know if this epoxy was from there. After hearing that it IS a 2K real epoxy, I say go for it. No need to dump it for something else.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.