Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hello folks, couple questions on my engine combo
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hello folks, couple questions on my engine combo. 3884520 heads

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have a few questions. I aquired a 67' Chevy Biscayne about 2 months ago and since then I have been slowly building it up to be a family cruiser. I'm no stranger to performance SBC's and GM in general (I've had a small block 87' Iroc in the 11's all motor, also swapped LS1/T56 into same vehicle, 69' OHC 250 straight 6 Pontiac tempest turbocharged, 67' Chevy K10 with crate 350 and some goodies, and have worked in Hot Rod shops for years) but have some odd questions. My 67' Biscayne has block code 3970020 which comes out as a 307. So I'm assuming at some point a previous owner swapped this block in to replace the 283 that the previous owner thought was still in it (when for sale it was listed with a 283). The head casting number is 3884520, which I'm gathering is a Powerpack 283 head, and it has the T next to the triangle which some people say they are better than non "t" castings. To be honest I'm not familiar with "old school" go-fast parts. I'm always the hi-tech guy in the shop doing the EFI conversions, motor swaps and forced induction. I'm trying to build this car to be a nice cruiser, make some decent power and end up towing a 68' Camaro 302 project down the road. I'm always one that dares to be different so I would like to keep this engine. Any info on these heads? All the numbers I pulled look to be like this: 3884520 T^-(big triangle lol) 0238-(may be 0288). I was originally planning on going with some 416 305 heads, a comp cams X4262h cam to go with the aluminum q-jet intake and q-jet carb I already have sitting to replace my stock 2bbl setup. I already have an HEI setup and have a dual snorkel air cleaner ready to slap on as well. I'm trying to keep the car simple, somewhat stock looking (minus chrome pieces here and there to make it look pretty lol) and run pretty good. If these powerpack heads will net me some decent HP I'll keep em', I'd probably put some 1.94 intake valves in them anyways. Any info or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks alot!! Oh, and here's a pic of the car in question, in case you wanted to see it (it has a 3-spd manual at the moment as well)

I'm running 15x10 chrome Rally's out back with 295/50-15's and 15x6's up front with a 215/70-15's up front. I mounted my CD player in the original ash tray slot (the ash tray slot was pretty messed up), mounted some Sunpro gauges in the factory radio slot (I thought sunpro's would match better with my stock cluster) and also mounted a Sunpro tach where the stock shifter used to be on the column (it's now floor shift, previous owner had converted it).

Last edited by RamAirZ; 07-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.