Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hello folks, couple questions on my engine combo
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ
at least 330 ft/lbs for a little over 2000rpm (2-4K) and pulled about 270hp. I think it's feasable to get near this power level using mostly stock parts don't ya think? With some minor work. *SNIP* I figured I could hop it up just a little using some parts I already have lying around lol (qjet, aluminum qjet manifold). do think those power numbers are doable.
Yes, I agree the numbers are within reach w/what cam and carb/intake you already have- provided you use some small tube headers. It'll take tuning it real crisp- carb and ignition advance. But I think you should be able to get .8-.9 HP/CID w/o too much trouble.

If the engine is tight, I don't think I'd even bother w/changing the stock heads that are on it now, for that matter- at least not for now. This will hurt peak power, but the bottom end should still be good. The 416's will help almost everywhere as compared to the PP's or stock heads, but will obviously add to the cost.

Anyway, down the road, you can decide exactly how (or if) to go about modding the 307. Using it as-is (or close to that) for now makes sense on several levels- budget, the 307's in good shape to start with, and you have the parts to help it already.

Quote:
I wonder if the 520's are worth anything to someone.
You can put them in the free classifieds on this forum (and others) and see if you get any takers. With the "right" date code, a collector might go a couple hundred for them, but as just PP heads, they don't seem to command a premium.