Hello (How to: Professional Painting) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sam, your right, Mike (Deadbodyman) and Barry K are both straight shooters and local too and Brian (Martinsr), he's in California but another good resourse.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Student of Life

What cost is that? 100k for focusing on the outer layers (prime/base/clear) sounds great.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Are we feeding dreams, or fueling reality?

School is a double edge, expensive and time consuming. They will inflate your projected earnings so you will take larger student loans. You have a chance to make more in the long run.

If you learn on the job , how to do the job, and make money. In most professions get the same place. Time spent in school is time wasted in financial advancement.

The Gov will lend you 1/3 the cost of school low rate. the rest high interest. I was not able to pay off school and tool till I was in late 30's.

Things were accelerating fast around 2002. Then the crapper.

I know so many who went to school. They have something to hang on the wall that's about it. The rest is environment. If someone pays your way you will climb fast. Money is the biggest obstacle.

Painters making 100k? What are they painting lines of.

Last edited by spinn; 02-24-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

My most successful friends are

Patent holders
Lawyers
Bankers

They have the 100k+ income . 1 mil home, SL600, yacht club. In their 20-30's they lived in the fast lane.

They went to college 4-6 years . Partied till morning to study for tests. One could postulate their success was related to how hard they partied.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsonno View Post
What cost is that? 100k for focusing on the outer layers (prime/base/clear) sounds great.

that cost would be, working long hours, and missing out on family..
that when and if you have kids can take a huge toll..
it's a fine line. women want a man that be able to support a family, but also want one thats able to be around for the family..
there is a reason this phase came about
" wow they grow up fast"
they really didn't you where just working so much you missed most of it..
THATS THE COST.. and not just the autobody field..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
My most successful friends are

Patent holders
Lawyers
Bankers
And I would just as soon live in a shopping cart to wake up every day and go to those jobs. They would be torturous to me, we are at work for a huge percentage of our lives, why in the world wouldn't we do something we enjoyed?

THIS is our life, this IS life, what I am doing this very second IS my life, it's not what I do on vacation, it's not what bank accounts I have, it's not when I retire, it isn't any of that, it is NOW it is what I will do tomorrow morning when I drive to work, it is the drive, it is what I do at work, that is it, THAT is our life, why not do something we enjoy?

I will never have that huge house, but I have a house, I will never have that Mercedes (like I give a crap) I have a perfectly fine vintage car that I enjoy to drive every day, my wife doesn't have a job, and I am proud as hell that she doesn't have to. We have driven all over America thru 29 states with her used Mini Van, and I have enjoyed the autobody industry just about every day I have ever gotten up to go to work since a week out of high school in June 1977. That is a lot of years that I have enjoyed my job, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I make a good living, good enough to own a home in the SF bay area where my little home costs literally 20 times as much as a similar home in some parts of the country. I have done it on a painters, bodyman, parts man, paint reps pay, 35 years, owned a few homes, and always had a job, every day that I wanted one, I had a job, one that I loved.

I had a good friend who was a cop, he and I were talking about an old friend of ours who was also a cop and had retired, at 50. I was saying how I should have done that, and my friend corrected me. He said Brian, I should have done what YOU did. You have lived your life at a job you love, I have went to work and washed vomit out of the back of my patrol car.

THIS is our life, not "some day", no, THIS Is our life, enjoy it.

To ilsonno, you are getting all you need in this thread, you need to get fired up about what you are doing, you need passion, that is what you need to be a valuable painter or bodyman. It can't be taught anywhere but you CAN learn it. Engross yourself in study of drive and passion, there are thousands of books out there on the subject, "The magic of thinking big", "Don't focus on the small stuff", and on and on.

There is no way anyone can tell you how to be a painter on this thread, that is for you and your passion to do. Icar, it's great, it's becoming more and more important to have on your resume, ASE, same thing. The classes the paint companies put on, very good. But your passion for your job, the passion to be the best, the passion to not have excuses, that is what will make you valuable.

Brian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
1Gary (02-25-2013), 69 widetrack (02-24-2013), ilsonno (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Brian...We have agreed on many many things on this forum. and we have disagreed on a few items...This is one thing that we agree on.

I went over to my wife's ex's house tonight and we where shooting pool. We talked about cars, we talked about many things and he asked me, would I do anything different in my life if I had the chance. I thought for a moment and said for the most part, I wouldn't want to change a thing. He asked me why, and I told him because I love what I do and I'm proud of what I've done. He told me that he wished he felt that way and told me I was fortunate.

Was it easy, Hell no...but did I enjoy it, Hell yes. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it today. In all the years that I've been in the automotive trade I have never lost my passion, my drive or my desire. I'm still able to challenge myself, every day brings new challenges and that has to be better than being stuck in an office all day having what ever creative juice sucked out of you...for me anyway. Is being a painter for everybody, no but, for the person that wants this for the right reasons it can be very rewarding.

Passion for what you do is key in life. Brian you made mention about being a cop...would that be for me, no, I wouldn't enjoy it. For some people, they have the passion and for them they find rewards in being a cop. We are all different and I don't feel that anyone has the right to take a dream away or to try and convince people that what they want to do is not right for them. That's a decision we all need to make for ourselves.

Ilsonno, your working in the trade now, there will be times where it appears to be mind numbing and tedious. Every good painter, carpenter, lawyer, cop, everybody has gone through it and felt that way but, the painters as well as the leaders in their chosen profession that have the passion, kept their eyes on the future and remained passionate about what they can do.

Learn on the job, take courses, get schooling, get your ticket...if this is your passion, you will succeed.

Ray
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

I too have been wrenching in the trade. Paid my own sallie mae and Stafford loans after graduating. It took forever and was a Burdon. Went to work for a stable company. I Loved working on cars. As a job, lets say it became hard to pick up salty French fries. Fixing peoples rattles in their cars is painful.

24/7 I am also a Firefighter paramedic in my town POC.

You may see me on at 2 am posting...because we got a call and I couldn't get back to sleep. Cleaning up too much , blood , puke, and crap.

Technician, paramedic, firefighter, rockstar, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0055bfg.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	71717  

Last edited by spinn; 02-24-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post

Learn on the job, take courses, get schooling, get your ticket...if this is your passion, you will succeed.

Ray
So all I have to do is dream.
Dream
dream
dream

I believe I can Fly
I believe I can touch the sky...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

And Spinn, if what you do is your passion and you enjoy it, I salute you, if you don't enjoy it, I would still salute you but would ask you why you keep on doing it? Your 41 years old...if you want something different in life then you need to make that choice.

I live in Canada and in many a cold winter I'd paint until my hands where so cracked they bled. Then after work I'd go and do restoration work. I don't paint every day now, but I love nothing better than to spend the time to get the body work done and make the vehicle straight so that when it comes to painting it's the treat that I've been working for. I'm passionate about what I do, I see the car done before a piece of sandpaper hits it, for me that vehicle is my canvas, putting the paint on it is my art.

Ray
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
So all I have to do is dream.
Dream
dream
dream

I believe I can Fly
I believe I can touch the sky...
There's Peter Pan and there is reality, nobody said that everyone has the passion and just because you believe you can...you can. All we are saying is that if you have the passion you have a much better chance of succeeding than if you don't.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have to say too, I fully respect every productive member of society. From a bus boy to a surgeon, they all have my respect. But if they don't have a passion for the job, yes even bus boy, if they don't have a passion I have a hard time respecting them. Talk about getting you thru a day, I don't care what you are doing, picking vegetables, I don't care what it is, if you have a passion to be the best you can be your life and your job is a joy.

Brian
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

I evaluate multiplexing faults in the ECU and wiring harness, I cant say that I like it.

I think life it is hit and miss.

Dive in the mud, get your hands dirty.

At 22 you are a piece of steel. You can struggle and your way 10-20 years in your field, people will start to count on you.

Then comes the shoulder tap.

Back room game change.

Team leader salary change.

Life with rocket boosters.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 AM

Last photo:

If you are into a field and a opening of advancement comes your way. It may not be what you want.

You cannot say " no thanks". Next time they'll pass you over.

Instead you take that salary bump and do the job because nobody else will.

That is heroic.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your right, their are opportunities for advancement, you can become head painter, manufacturer's representative, Insurance related management....the list goes on. I've been there and have accepted positions in either management or being a manufacturer's representative. I never stopped doing what I enjoyed the most, as I've mentioned before, painting is my art. I'm thankful that I was given the opportunity to go into management and Repping, they gave me more skills than just painting. Management skills are valuable, no matter what trade or profession.

Ray

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.