Hello (How to: Professional Painting) - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One more pearl of crap,

If you ever work at a labor business. You find that the woman that answer the phones and painting her nails makes +/- your hour wage. Walk away. The small business world is equality, in work completed. Everyone in a business has make the earning. You have to generate your income. Anyone can take messages and delegate what other people should do. The works have the talent.

What happens when The receptionist is absent? I answer the phones.

What happens when I am absent. The receptionists cant generate income.

Advertisement

Last edited by poncho62; 02-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Do you really feel than anyone can delegate...in my opinion the people that master the art of delegation are extremely valuable to any business...delegation is a key to management and without it you have chaos and chaos makes for poor moral and lack of productivity.

The receptionist answers the phone, yes...and a whole lot more. The more volume a shop does the more valuable an organized receptionist is....You may be able to answer the phone...can you do all the other things a receptionist does? Do you know what else a receptionist does. They may not be able to twist wrenches but, I don't think you could do all the things they do without training. More money is lost in the paper in a business than any other way, a good receptionist or secretary organizes the paper so there is a trail and any bleeding can be more readily stopped.

I won't comment on your last line, it's not worth the bandwidth.

Ray
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Your right, their are opportunities for advancement, you can become head painter, manufacturer's representative, Insurance related management....the list goes on. I've been there and have accepted positions in either management or being a manufacturer's representative. I never stopped doing what I enjoyed the most, as I've mentioned before, painting is my art. I'm thankful that I was given the opportunity to go into management and Repping, they gave me more skills than just painting. Management skills are valuable, no matter what trade or profession.

Ray

I have always believed in a simple rule where I work, do what ever they want you to as long as it isn't immoral, illegal or fattening. You do what is asked of you and you learn. Stick to just one aspect of the industry and you are limiting yourself. I can do ANYTHING in this industry. Because I have opened those doors it added thousands upon thousands, hundreds of thousands of jobs that I can walk into around this country. Anywhere from an alignment rack at a tire store to a paint rep to a parts counter, to painting to body repair to production to restoration, I have done it all and could walk into any of those jobs tomorrow if I need to feed my family.
And besides the challenges are AWESOME!

Brian
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Yes I know what our receptionists do. ************

Yes anybody can delegate work to workers. Nothing but common sense. Maybe its a little more natural to paramedics and front line solders , first responders.

Guy comes in with trans question. You going to direct it to the oil change guy, the aligment/tire guy, or the trans guy...

If you guessed trans guy you have what it takes.

Can you answer a phone on the 2 ring? then say hold on?

Hand over the keys and recipt of payment?

Papers, you mean computers? Nothing is lost. Hidden ..The RO are handled by service writers, an even lower life form.

The country is the laughing stock of the world. Like a two dollar whore it is gonna get straightened out. When the bow breaks, Im gonna laugh this time.

Brian, the first day of work my old TTL opened his tool chest and said I was welcome to any tool in his box. The drawer he opened has his 9mm berretta and a bag of coke.

Agrreed on the challenge. Win, Fail, or Luck all the way to success.

Last edited by poncho62; 02-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

The key to management is passing the blame.

second manipulation
third also part of second, lying with a straight face
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You know Spinn, you must be on a lot of medication...that huge chip on your shoulder would give anybody the intense lower back pain you must be experiencing. God, I'd hate to be you.

But a Sincere Good Luck.

Ray
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

My apologies. Jaded views have no luster do they?

Life is a lot of fun. Why let a few bad apple spoil the bunch.

Work is not fun time. It is work. There are adventures to be had. Get your pole in the water.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM

"".The RO are handled by service writers, an even lower life form.""
quote from spin
Im a little offended here,,,and I do partially agree,,,

I spent a few years in several shops,,,now Im in the offise
I answer the phone
deal with customers
order the parts
tell the owner whats going on
make corrections when required

heres what I did last Saturday
mechanic services customers car and does a wheel alignment to correct a drift problem.
he hands me the w.o. with the old and new alignment specs,then tells me it still pulls,,then goes for lunch
I rotate tires,still pulls
so I take out a full degree of caster
car drives straight now
both of us use factory tolerances
mine fixed the problem
mechanic got mad because I fixed his problem(not mistake)
customer is not pleased because the car took an extra hour
Owner backed me up,,,, customer is happy with job,just not happy with extra time but ok now
Mechanic is ok but not happy that I expect better quality work and he needs to be a mechanic not just a parts installer/its close enough to tolerances alignment tech
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

And Vinnie, your the office guy? You don't just answer the phone? Your not passing the blame, but fixing it yourself? You haven't learned how to lie with a straight face or manipulate people?

I guess this is one time that the person in the office can handle the work in the shop.

I've run shops as well, when it got busy I'd do the brake job, the tune up or bust tires, prep cars, when the frame guy couldn't get the frame to line up who did he come to, he came to me because he respected my opinion and ability. It's called working as a team, each being there for the other to reach a common goal. I fully realize that this doesn't happen in all shops, usually just the ones with good people in the back and good people in the front. Having just one leads to, as I mentioned earlier, chaos and eventually the business fails.

Thanks for the post Vinnie.

Ray
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM

I always (try) to put the problem on the car.Its not an exact science,some symtoms can have numerous reasons,etc,,,
I dont blame the mechanics,I have said that we had to wait longer for parts or other such excuses,but things happen and delays are unavoidable at times.
I invite customers in the shop to see certain problems and I introduce the customers to the technicians.We have 4 licensed techs and a casual oil change guy.I try not to go in the shop except to bring parts and bulletins. I will fix a flat tire for a drive in customer and I get the job of entering information into the computer for new customers.
I only do this job part time. I like to work with the public and try to get peoples cars fixed on time.I wont rip anyone off.If the company I work for is dishonest I wont work there.
My other job is/was working hollywood north. the industry is slow atm.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Student of Life

This is all really helpful. No negativity intended, I find work politics entertaining. And after a few pms I've started journaling my hours, listening to an audiobook "The Magic of Thinking Big", and had a talk with my boss about what I needed to do before learning to prime. "Get your head screwed on right."
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

An extra hour. So all morning and a extra hour ...what's a alignment pay 1.5hr, 2. Yeah, your on top of it. Do they make you wear a dress?

Alignment you hang the things over the wheels and go. Upsell the suspension component you think could be questionable.

How many hours is guaranty? If there are cars in the lot and you don't make guaranty your screwed.

Doesn't matter how fabulous the work, if you collect guaranty too much. You get the boot.

George Carlin (the late)made fantastic motivation, ahh,,umm,, speeches?

Last edited by spinn; 02-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Poncho, I apologize. I thought the language was acceptable. Unfortunately my judgment was incorrect.

If my views are thought in poor taste, it is just the plainest, least sugar coated way of retelling my events. Accurate but maybe darker than you want to accept.

No harm?

...No I don't do drugs, smoke , or drink alcohol. Why you holding?...Joking. Mariwana has exploded out were im at. It could be more popular now than the 70's.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Spinn, you are a serious downer. Wow, really, what a downer.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsonno View Post
This is all really helpful. No negativity intended, I find work politics entertaining. And after a few pms I've started journaling my hours, listening to an audiobook "The Magic of Thinking Big", and had a talk with my boss about what I needed to do before learning to prime. "Get your head screwed on right."
Adam, your on the right track. I'm glad you spoke to your employer about what you need to learn before priming. Priming is one step you need to take before graduating to a paint gun and start trimming edges on fenders, painting the underneath of a hood and so on. When these steps are taken and met with passion, desire and skill painting the outside of a vehicle, where what you've learned, will come into play.

As I mentioned in a PM, there are several people on this site that have your best interest at heart, you now know who they are. If you have any questions at all, and you will, don't hesitate to contact any of us, we're happy to help.

Ray

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.