Hello (How to: Professional Painting) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Student of Life

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello (How to: Professional Painting)

Hey everyone,

I've been working at a small body shop (just me and the owner with the occasional extra helper) for a few months and getting into the collision repair industry seems almost like something that has to happen to you. I'm 22 with a couple years in college (most of my core done) looking to be a painter. I-CAR looks like a promising investment, but I really don't have much direction other than what I've found googling. Any advise from anyone who is in or in the know would be awesome. Thanks and greetings. I expect to learn a lot from this forum.

Adam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM

welcome to the forum
maybe contact Pained Jester,he is one of many here with paint experience
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Student of Life

Thank you, I'll do that.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome aboard Adam...Where are you from, that may help? Is the owner licensed? That would help with your apprenticeship. Is it the education aspect that your looking at now?

If there's anything I can do to give you a hand, let me know.

Best regards
Ray
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Student of Life

Hey Ray,
Yeah, education, and really employability are what I'm looking at. I want to be able to move to a location and expect to find pay within a month, what experience/qualification do I need for that (obviously nobody *knows*, but I'm looking for good ideas now, not psychic readings). I live in middle Georgia. My boss is I-CAR certified, among other things, at least as an adjuster. He doesn't talk much and his teaching style is sort of laissez-faire. He knows what he's doing. I appreciate the questions, and keep them coming if you think they'd help someone help me.

Adam
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Student of Life

And thank you for the kindness, I'm just stressing so I'm a bit absent minded.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Not to worry Adam...If i can ask, what made you choose painting cars? Not that I would ever want that statement meant as "what where you thinking", it's more of what in your decision making process lead you to the automotive field and you choose painting cars...This might help me help you.

Ray
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM

I wish I had the talent to paint cars. I wish you well.Before you go too far,look into the dangers of the chemicals.Also look at the money you can make,make a wise decision
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Student of Life

I was a psych major in school, so you'll feel that in my answer, I think lol
My dad loves cars and bodywork, and I enjoy doing something that makes him proud. I enjoy the artistic feel of inspecting a surface for imperfections and then watching the work I'm doing change my project closer and closer to awesome looking. I do a lot of sanding, and haven't actually done any painting yet, so I don't really know that's what I want to do, but it's a hunch, and I've got to move in some direction. I worked painting houses for a while and that led me to this job accidentally, and somehow I ended up wanting to go to work to learn instead of to make money. Now I'm thinking, if I can make decent money (40-60k) for doing something artistic, requiring critical thinking and problem solving skills, doing something not quite mainstream, but still in everyone's face, I would probably call work my hobby. And that sounds like a good life.

Adam
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsonno View Post
My dad loves cars and bodywork, and I enjoy doing something that makes him proud. I enjoy the artistic feel of inspecting a surface for imperfections and then watching the work I'm doing change my project closer and closer to awesome looking. I do a lot of sanding, and haven't actually done any painting yet, so I don't really know that's what I want to do, but it's a hunch, and I've got to move in some direction. I worked painting houses for a while and that led me to this job accidentally, and somehow I ended up wanting to go to work to learn instead of to make money. Now I'm thinking, if I can make decent money (40-60k) for doing something artistic, requiring critical thinking and problem solving skills, doing something not quite mainstream, but still in everyone's face, I would probably call work my hobby. And that sounds like a good life.

Adam
I already have felt that in your answers...that's why I started out by asking questions regarding what's in your mind regarding cars.

I'm going to send you a Private Message...good answers Adam...damn good answers.

Ray
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM

paint cars or repaint cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsonno View Post

Adam
there needs to be passion too???
Up here in Canada,I know a flat rate painter that makes over 100k/year.It comes at a cost though.He just does repairs/blending and touch ups.I asked him to paint my car but found out I cant afford his work
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I just sent you a Private Message Adam.

Vinnie...truer words when it comes to painting have never been spoken...passion is a driving force in becoming elite. Painting is an art, blending is part of the craft that distinguishes painters. And Vinnie, painter's can be expensive but...I think I've heard you mention, you get what you pay for, just like building an engine, many people can put one together, it's the ones that build them to make power and last that sets them apart.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I just sent you a Private Message Adam.

Vinnie...truer words when it comes to painting have never been spoken...passion is a driving force in becoming elite. Painting is an art, blending is part of the craft that distinguishes painters. And Vinnie, painter's can be expensive but...I think I've heard you mention, you get what you pay for, just like building an engine, many people can put one together, it's the ones that build them to make power and last that sets them apart.

Ray
throwing my own words back at me? lol....true
I will eventually get a great paint job,but it cannot be too great.I want to drive the car and not get mad if someone leans on my car
Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well Vinnie, I'm so anal about paint, I get frustrated when my wife parks her car to close to another one, in a different parking lot...I spent a total of 16 hours painting her car...it looks OK but she told me the color she wanted on a Wednesday (it had to match her shoes and purse) and had to have it done for her by Saturday so she could go out with some of her old high school friends. She got the car painted and was it my best work? Well like I said, it looks OK and it matches her shoes and purse...LOL

Ray
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There is a guy called deadbodyman here who has a shop in Georgia and BarryK is in Georgia and both of those guys are straight shooters that can help out..Martinsr is another guy to ask about body fender work..

Sam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.