Hello/ how to shift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hello

Hello everyone I recentrly bought a 38 SilversStreak, and dont know anything at all about it, other than it's an old car. I have tried to drive it but don't know exactly how to shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

Welcome silverstreak,

Would that be a Pontiac? Let's see some pics. By the way, how old or you?

Jack.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site. Post some pics for us.

Cole
Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Worn Out and Broken

I'll echo the question: How old might you be? By wondering how to shift, do you mean you have never driven a stick (standard shift tranny) before, or the arrangement of the shift stick is unfamiliar to you? Is the shifter mounted on the floor, or on the steering column? Either way, the procedure is basically the same.

First, get a piece of paper and draw a large "H" on it; then draw a circle in the center of the "H" and mark it with an "N"; that is the "neutral" position. At the upper left point of the "H", mark an "R", for "reverse", at the lower left, a "1" for "first gear" or "low gear". At the upper right point of the "H", mark a "2" for "second gear", and at the lower right point of the "H", a "3" for "high gear" or "top gear".

Next, hold the piece of paper up to the shift knob of your shifter with the "R" - "1" side of the "H" nearest to the steering wheel; that will describe the shift pattern for you.

To shift a column shift, you lift up on the shifter knob in the direction toward the steering wheel and move it "up" to shift into "reverse", and "down" to shift into "first gear" (the lowest forward gear). When you are driving forward in "first", to shift into "second", move the shifter to "N", then towards the dashboard, and push it "up" into "2" (second); thence, "down" into "3" ( third).

On the floor shift, the procedure is much the same, except you will be moving the shifter in a more horizontal plane, rather than vertical. With the paper held on the knob with the "R" - "1" side nearest the steering wheel, simply move the shift knob to the left and push it towards the dash to get into "reverse", or pull it toward the seat to get into "first gear", then just move it according to the pattern on the paper.

Of course, this all requires the use of the clutch, and a certain amount of co-ordination of feet and hands. If you have never done this, you should find friend or acquaintance who knows how to drive a standard shift (stick), and get some help in learning.

And don't feel intimidated or shamed; in today's world most people, or at least, many, won't learn to drive a stick shift, the old fashioned three speed transmission is almost a forgotten relic, and a column shift is even more of one.

See? Us Old Farts are good for something once in a while.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Rrumbler,

Yeh X2. SilverStreak, please don't take offense, old timers like us find it hard to believe that someone doesn't know how to drive a stick. If we are off base let us know. We still need to see pics.

Jack.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

It's a Pontiac for sure lol And yeah i know how to drive standard cars, but not this one because the shifter it's on the the steering colunm. And yeah I am 26 years young. Thank you all for your help. I will now try to see if i can drive it wish me luck.

Last edited by 38SilverStreakCoupe; 06-23-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Rrumbler has given you an excellent explanation of the manual shift pattern.
Once you find neutral, pull the shift lever towards you and up for reverse, towards you and down for 1st. Away from you and up is 2nd and straight down (away from you and down) is 3rd.
How many of us are showing our age by remembering our early cars with "three on the tree)?
Terry
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

"Old Timers" Dont feel bad, I myself am 20 and have driven Three on the Tree for 5 years now, nothin better to learn on!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

Herbie,

I think I can speak for all of us "old timers". I (we) don't feel bad, we have had a lot of fun getting all the experience over these many years.

Jack.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Worn Out and Broken

So, Silver Streak, how'd you make out with that column shift? Not so bad, once you get a feel for it, but if the Pontiac is anything like the old Chevies, don't get too rough with it, or it will get hung in two gears, and you'll have to, at the least, shake it loose at the column under the hood where the shift rods go down to the trans, or worse, pull the rods from the side of the trans, and maybe even take the side cover off to clear it up. BTDT.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

When I bought my 79C-10 I had to go back to the guy and ask him how to shift it because I didnt know how to drive a 3 on the tree. I've been driving 4 on the floor for years but never 3 on the tree. On top of that the old column shifter was worn out. I hardly got the crazy thing home. lol

I parked it for about 2 years after that and now the same truck has a 454 with a TH400 (it used to have a 350 with some weird 3 speed manual trans that had two shifter rods mounted on the side). Youd never know it was a manual trans truck with a small engine in it at one point.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Thank you all for your help, I can now drive it around and it feels great to have people looking :-)
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38SilverStreakCoupe
Thank you all for your help, I can now drive it around and it feels great to have people looking :-)
That's a beautiful car, drive it proudly and with care.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Silverstreak,

Thanks for posting the album. That is 1 fine old car, as has already been stated, take good care of it.

Jack.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

just to add .....I would imagine that the tranny going into 1st gear is not syncronized and , therefore, may grind going into that gear from neutral. I always push in on clutch, place in 3rd gear, and without letting out on the clutch, place it in 1st gear and it will not grind. have fun!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.