Hello from ND & Tire size / speedo reading? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello from ND & Tire size / speedo reading?

Good Day fellow Car Nuts. I collect Old Cars in ND, so I know it's probably a little "off" from what you guys do. I collect things that no one else wants, like Hudson, Packard, Nash, Studebaker, Jeep, Kaiser, Mercury Turnpike Cruisers, Dodge Chargers & the like.
I currently have a 57 Merc TPC that the speedo is off by 10% - when it reads 70, the car is doing about 63.
I have P215 tires on it; which are about 26" tall. I can put the "More Correct" size tire on it; P225 which is supposed to be about 27.6" tall.
So, I need someone smarter than me in mathematics; to tell me how many more inches down the road it will go per revolution; or how I can figure how much closer the speedo would be. The height would be 6% more; would that equate to 10% larger tire & hence 10% more ground distance per axle revolution???????
Thanks, Dan Caswell, Minot, ND 701-839-5820

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site. It aint me i ain't no fortunate one .
I have a hard time doing my check book

Cole
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I was just thinking what rear gears do you have now and what ride are you talking about anyway. what trans do you have also and how is it setup also.
And have you considered changing the speedometer gear in the trans to make it all come together ? Just a thought. Oh and do you really want you info like phone# and things out for everyone to see?

Cole
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklift2
Good Day fellow Car Nuts. I collect Old Cars in ND, so I know it's probably a little "off" from what you guys do. I collect things that no one else wants, like Hudson, Packard, Nash, Studebaker, Jeep, Kaiser, Mercury Turnpike Cruisers, Dodge Chargers & the like.
I currently have a 57 Merc TPC that the speedo is off by 10% - when it reads 70, the car is doing about 63.
I have P215 tires on it; which are about 26" tall. I can put the "More Correct" size tire on it; P225 which is supposed to be about 27.6" tall.
So, I need someone smarter than me in mathematics; to tell me how many more inches down the road it will go per revolution; or how I can figure how much closer the speedo would be. The height would be 6% more; would that equate to 10% larger tire & hence 10% more ground distance per axle revolution???????
Thanks, Dan Caswell, Minot, ND 701-839-5820
Using a CALCULATOR (click on "Tech Articles" then click on "Useful Math Calculators" on the Left side)- there are many other calculators like this on the web, if you are going 63 MPH w/26" tires, you need 29" tires to go 70 mph, all else being equal- but the speedo will still be in error.

What you need to do is change the speedo gears. If you know how many teeth are on one of the two speedo gears, the rear tire diameter and the final drive ratio, you can use THIS to determine how many teeth the other gear should have.

THIS site has some FoMoCo speedo gears, I'm sure there are other, possibly better places also.

Good luck.

Oh, another thing- Measuring the tire height will not be as accurate for getting the diameter. You should do a circumference check on the diameter of the tires, mark both the tire and pavement, roll out at least two full revolutions, measure this distance and divide to get the circumference, then divide that by 3.1416 (Pi) to get the diameter.

Changing the tire diameter will raise the ride height by 1/2 of the diameter.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklift2

Not really, a LOT of us here have different tastes and like different vehicles.

I drove 1835 miles one way to get a 1949 Mercury M-47 pickup.

I drove from the Carolinas to Baldur, Manitoba Canada to buy the above truck. Then we went WEST on over the western parts of the US States sight seeing ... 4,800 plus miles in all ... to get a pooey, rusty, ratty old truck. My wife says it is the UGLIEST thing to ever sit on our driveway.

BUT ... I like it

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I though MS Deuce had better visionary talent than that. I see a lot of potential for a neat tow truck for a Deuce!!!

Trees
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
I though MS Deuce had better visionary talent than that.

Trees
She has that dreaded disease ... DEUCE FEVER ... and just about only likes 32 Fords and of course ... her Cadillac DTS.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.