Hello New Member - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello New Member

Just wanted to say Hello.

I am a new memeber and a total virgin/new painter.

I just started a bedliner business a year ago and all is going well.

I just had my biggest problem happen yesterday. While peeling off the line wire tape that cuts the bedliner material to take off the masked areas--GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.

YEP i pulled off about 4" x 2" piece of paint off the tailgate. DOOHHH!!! Also a couple little line tape pulls.

Paint was old but i am in the process of fixing.

SO... MY FIRST PAINT JOB.

I am pretty good at all the aspects.

BUT. I am trying to paint quickly. I sanded the whole tailgate. Primed most of the tailgate-areas that had deeper cracks, chips etc.

I think i did not wait long enough between the sanding as the first coat of paint went on well. I may have not waited long enough for the paint to flash or waited too long???

My second coat went on and right away i saw what i guess you call shrinkage??

What are my options? It is mostly on the bottom of the tailgate. Can I wait for it to dry and sand then respray one more full coat over all of it?

Can I wait for the paint to dry before a second coat or does it need to be within the flash time? Better to go early in the flash or later?

I have not clear coated yet. So tips on the clear coating would also help.

Hope someone is up. I know its a little long winded.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 PM

oops!! oh well

i thinkit is coolthat you are try to fix what you messed up! i don't know much about painting, but i would ask a painter what to do and maybe some pics
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Yeah thanks.

I actually sublet out part of my shop to paint and body guys.

But since it was just the tailgate and only the top 1/3 and bottom 1/4 i figured i would try to do it with their advice.

Well i should have read up a little first. I was using better products than they use. They are blow and go style. Cheap cheap cheap.

I am using Dupont and they use who knows what. So totally different application techniques. Learnin the hard way. Next time a little more reading.

Thanks for the Reply.

Kevin
Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Hard to tell what happened with the information you gave, and not knowing what you are seeing. Shrinkage normally shows up a little down the road, not saying it couldn't happen to show up in the middle of painting, like looks good at first, then after its painted sandscratches show up as primer shrinks into sand scratches, or rings appear around body fill areas. But rush things with little flash between you are asking for a host of problems that can occur, as solvent gets built up and trapped. Should move this to body exterior and explain better what happened, and that way others can better troubleshoot what likely happened, and you can learn so you avoid it happening in the future.
It varys with the base manufacturer (you are using a basecoat, right?) the window they give to be safe, but most give at least 24 hours from last coat of base you sprayed to get clear on, dupont chromabase I believe states 24 hrs. Then you could repair that area, shoot some more base on that area, and clear if all done in time window to clear. You can often sand base to repair an area in as little as an hour if you wetsand. After time window has expired, then all should be scuffed and another coat of base applied, then you have 24 hrs to clear again from when that coat was sprayed. If its a solvent related problem, then repairing and spraying too soon and wet coat could add to the problem.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Basically i got a wrinkling effect soon after painting. The painters next door help me out. I may have put on too think for the first 2 coats. We wet sanded the wrinkles mostly out then lightly/very lightly added coats of base color to build back up. Then we added one last full coat to the entire tailgate. Waited and lightly did a clear coat. Waited then added a heavier clear coat.

All is good except for a little dirt in the clear. That should buff out.

So a good experience for the first paint job. Not that Im a painter. Good info on this site.

Learned prep is everything.

Thanks Kevin
Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

yep, sure sounds like lifting or wrinkling occured which could be an uncompatability, primer or substrate sanded thin and then solvent when coating over lifting it, or in your case, inadequete flash times, putting on too many coats without allowing proper time in between coats, a good case to read product data sheets and follow them, and not rush things, how much time did you save when it causes a problem to occur?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.