help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2002, 08:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post help

Hello,
I am working on a stock car and it has a chevy 350 in it. I am wondering if anyone has sugewstions on how I should tune it to get the max power out of it. We have to be able to pass a vacum test of 18 inches at idle speed. We installed a mild comp cam and bleeder lifter's. We also had a HEI distributor made with the advance wieght's shaved so they advance at a lower rpm. I timed it 32 degrees at 2500 rpm and it just didn't seem like it had any power? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2002, 09:04 PM

Jason,
need more specific info, what are the rules for cam lift/duration; comp; carb; intake&exht manifolds; lifter type; ign systems
Bill
Old 04-23-2002, 09:12 PM

Cool

Just wondering have you adjusted your carb. with a vacuum tester turn them out for the the highest vacuum reading you can get.do it twiced that would be your lean best then for race day adjust to run best. also adjust timing to run best may be 28 or more 36 just a thought good luck drive by day fly by night

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>
Old 04-24-2002, 08:40 AM

I won't say that you will not pass emission standards, but I can tell you that for years I would detune my car, pass emmisions (which was good for two years) and then change the parts around to get the power back. I also maintained an address in a low density area where emission testing was not conducted.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:30 PM

I really don't need to pass any emmision's. The car is a oval race track car. The class is called real stock, it was designed to be cheap, say someone can just go out to the junk yard and buy a car and put a roll cage in it and race it. They have a rule that all the parts have to be stock and it can't have less then 18 inches of vacume at 2 degrees advanced timing at 700 rpm. I went with a 262 cam with bleeder lifter's to be able to still maintain 18 inches of vacume but I am only at 15 inches. I guess what my question is, how do you get maximum power out of the engine by tunning the carb and timming. I have mostly worked on heavy diesel engines and some car engines and not so much on coming up with a race engine. Last year we did all right and then one day this guy came over and tweaked the carb and timming and we were just able to go out and blow the doors off of everyone. The owner of the car bought a new engine this year and I just cant get it to perform like the other one. By all the specs of this new engine it should have the power but it doesn't even come closs to the stock engine.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 04-24-2002, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Is the cam installed straight up? That's a pretty mild cam for a 350 and you should be able to get at least 20" out of it. I ran a 290 duration cam in a 351W Ford and still managed to get 17 inches of vacuum at 800 rpm. My current 400M Ford has a 272 duration cam and I can get 21 out of it at 650 rpm. Sounds like you have a few problems conspiring against you, I would start by checking all the easy obvious stuff like carb, timing, vacuum leaks at the head/intake/carb etc. and then go from there. Mixture adjustment is key also.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.