Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help on a 305's timing
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmmcote
thanks Frisco, That is exactly what i needed to know. It fired up tonight. Got another Q. for you if you don't mind. What would make the spark plugs have oil on them when you pull them out and look. Do you think my intake gaskets haven't sealed yet? Definetly appreciate the other answer.
Killerformula answered this question very well.

I would add that it would depend on a few other points as well. Are you talking about oil on the threads of the plugs or on the electrodes? What kind of oil are you using? You should not be using a synthetic oil yet. I would suggest a good 30 weight sulphur based oil for the first 2000 miles. Change the oil and filter immediately after the cam break-in and again around 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles and then every 3000 miles. You can safely use a synthetic oil after about 2000 miles.

As to the intake gaskets being sealed. They are either sealed at installation or not. They do not take run time to seal. I have seen where the intake and heads do not line up very well (caused by machining of the block / heads or poor manufacturing of the intake) and then there can be a lack of sealing between them from the lifter valley area. This can enable oil to be sucked into the cylinders causing oil fowling/burning. Use of good gaskets and a small amount of RTV on the lower edge of the gaskets and around the water port sections of the gasket can eliminate this leakage if the mis-alignment is minor.