Hot Rod Forum banner

HELP! 360 Gushing Oil out dipstick

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dadeeoo 
#1 ·
After sitting for 3 months a used engine ( which ran fine prior)
upon starting began gushing oil out the dipstick tube, In addition the rockers are knocking. I figure it is oil pressure build up but i do not know where to start in resolving the problem.
the engine is a 1977 360 transplanted from a doge aspen to to 73 Dart Sport. any help and other advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Does is have a pcv valve? If so it might be stopped up. That would cause the blowby to push oil out of the dipstick tube. If it doesn't have a pcv valve just make sure that the engine is ventilated somehow so it won't build up pressure inside.

As for the rockers knocking, you might have a plunger stuck down in the lifter.

Larry

#3 ·
No PVC. However, I bought a set of Mopar covers from summit racing and they only have one opening on each. I noticed my old covers had a breather on one side and a pvc on the other in addition to the fill cap. I am going to pull the valve covers and look to ensure that somthing is blocking the passage to the breather cap. do you think that i need to drill out a hole or somethning and make a pvc spot on the other cover?
Just curious. if both covers need to be vented some how.

Thanks for responding.

#4 ·
When you pull the valve covers off, I would double check to make sure there isn't anything blocking the oil passages in the heads. Sometimes if it's been sitting a while, the old oil could kinda gunked those up and make the oilpan build up back-pressure. I had it happen on an old 350. I tried the PCV valve and then had to clean the heads really good.

When you pull the valve covers off, I would double check to make sure there isn't anything blocking the oil passages in the heads. Sometimes if it's been sitting a while, the old oil could kinda gunked those up and make the oilpan build up back-pressure. I had it happen on an old 350. I tried the PCV valve and then had to clean the heads really good.

Sorry, didn't mean to repeat that twice!:rolleyes:

#6 ·
Not all the lifters are ticking. I will be worning on it in the next day or two. I will keep you all posted as to my findings and the out come.
I wish that the old Mopar had adjustable rockers/ lifters. once thay start tapping i have never been able to quiet them down.

Thanks for the replies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.