HELP 383 question!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

HELP 383 question!!!

Hey guys, my car has kept very good oil pressure. Around 60psi idle and above on driving. I have electric fans that is setup on a toggle switch. Well, today, i started the car and i must have hit the toggle switch off. I left car to warm up and when i came back to it it was around 225-230 degrees. I immediately turned the car off and let it cool down to 0. I started the car and had great oil pressure. I took the car out after warming it back up and ran it strong. I went back after 15 min to drive it again and my oil pressure was around 40 and it drops pretty quick unless i am giving it gas. There is no blow by and no smoke out of the exhaust. The idle did change but i don't know if that is even relevant.
So, is my oil pump going out? did the overheating do damage? It's due an oil change so is my oil worn out and can't hold pressure? or is it something totally different. The motor has 535hp and is professionally built with 7qrt pan and 2.08 broddix aluminum heads. Thanks to all who replies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM

update:
I just checked my oil and it is almost a quart low and very black and thin. I am about positive this is my issue. I have never had any problems with oil pressure before. Any tips on what brand of oil and weight to use? Also, what brand of oil filter? I typically use Fram and Pennzoil 5w-40.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome407
Hey guys, my car has kept very good oil pressure. Around 60psi idle and above on driving. I have electric fans that is setup on a toggle switch. Well, today, i started the car and i must have hit the toggle switch off. I left car to warm up and when i came back to it it was around 225-230 degrees. I immediately turned the car off and let it cool down to 0. I started the car and had great oil pressure. I took the car out after warming it back up and ran it strong. I went back after 15 min to drive it again and my oil pressure was around 40 and it drops pretty quick unless i am giving it gas. There is no blow by and no smoke out of the exhaust. The idle did change but i don't know if that is even relevant.
So, is my oil pump going out? did the overheating do damage? It's due an oil change so is my oil worn out and can't hold pressure? or is it something totally different. The motor has 535hp and is professionally built with 7qrt pan and 2.08 broddix aluminum heads. Thanks to all who replies.
230 degrees shouldn't be enough to do any damage, shutting down hot with coolant is riskier to the engine. As long as it has coolant you should keep it running and speed it up a little while bringing on the fans. Keeping the coolant moving suppresses internal hot spots that would just boil the coolant if it isn't circulating. This answer would be different if you ran it without coolant, in which case some damage would be done and keeping it going would only make it worse. Oil also is a coolant, it pulls heat out of the bearings. Shutting down hot would encourage loss of oil from the bearings which could possibly result in a dry restart which would remove some material.

I'd first take a look at the coolant to be sure the system is full. I'd also change oil certainly not with something as thin as a 5 weight more like a 15-40 or 20-50. For a spin on filter WIX has about the best reputation out there.

Bogie
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM

ok so i did more damage by turning it off perhaps than by turning the fans on and letting it come down to a safe place. That makes sense. So, lets say that I did have a dry start, would the bearings be shot? It does have plenty of coolant but the oil is very dark and thin and slightly low aswell. If i change my oil and my oil pressure still isn't back to normal then i did some bearing damage. What is the next step if it is bearings?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

A 535hp 383 and you are relying on a toggle switch to run your fans? If your engine is putting out that much hp you have a pretty decent amount of money into it and you can't splurge for a thermostatic controlled fan switch? I say just change the oil and you should be fine. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890015/
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM

lol i know what you are saying. Here's the deal. I bought the car built and it was already set up that way. The fans are thermo controlled and I can't get up of the guy who built it to find out why he has a toggle switch. So, after that whole ordeal i got pissed off and cut the sum ***** out and wired it up straight. I dunno if he had it like that for battery purposes or what he was thinking but im sure there is a reason behind it. Im like you though i really dont know why it has a toggle switch but rest assured it was already taken out and wired normal as soon as i turned the car off after it over heated.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
ok so i did more damage by turning it off perhaps than by turning the fans on and letting it come down to a safe place. That makes sense. So, lets say that I did have a dry start, would the bearings be shot? It does have plenty of coolant but the oil is very dark and thin and slightly low aswell. If i change my oil and my oil pressure still isn't back to normal then i did some bearing damage. What is the next step if it is bearings?
Change the oil and filter, check the coolant level, then fire it up and see what it does. Save some of the oil in a clean tight container to send for analysis if the pressures don't come back. A 25 dollar analysis will aim you right at the problem if there is one.

Bogie
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM

ok, so i changed my oil to 20w-50 Pennzoil with a k&n oil filter. I checked the coolant and everything is still topped off. Also, the oil i removed is dark and dirty but is normal with no discoloration. It smells normal aswell. I now have close to 65 psi oil pressure on idle and it is holding steady. However, the motor doesn't seem to be like it used to be. It seems to have a small vibration now whereas it didn't before. It is cold here right now and I didn't let the motor warm/run but maybe a minute and I am wondering if the motor will line out when the oil gets hot or if I have something seriously wrong. I dunno weather or not I should run the engine to see if it will line out or if i should just stop now before doing any further damage. There is absolutely no smoke what so ever from the pcv or exhaust, great oil pressure like before and not losing any coolant. I also wonder if the new oil is hiding my oil pressure issues whereas the old worn oil was showing them. That may not even be a true statement but it seems logical to me to even ask such a question. I appreciate all answers as I am truly worried.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Maybe your just paranoid now. Your gonna hear every tick and ting because your looking for something to be wrong. Did you send the oil off to get analysis like Bogie suggested?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
ok, so i changed my oil to 20w-50 Pennzoil with a k&n oil filter. I checked the coolant and everything is still topped off. Also, the oil i removed is dark and dirty but is normal with no discoloration. It smells normal aswell. I now have close to 65 psi oil pressure on idle and it is holding steady. However, the motor doesn't seem to be like it used to be. It seems to have a small vibration now whereas it didn't before. It is cold here right now and I didn't let the motor warm/run but maybe a minute and I am wondering if the motor will line out when the oil gets hot or if I have something seriously wrong. I dunno weather or not I should run the engine to see if it will line out or if i should just stop now before doing any further damage. There is absolutely no smoke what so ever from the pcv or exhaust, great oil pressure like before and not losing any coolant. I also wonder if the new oil is hiding my oil pressure issues whereas the old worn oil was showing them. That may not even be a true statement but it seems logical to me to even ask such a question. I appreciate all answers as I am truly worried.
Warm it up fully and see what it does. I wouldn't over worry it at this point, if there's anything serious it's already there bringing it up to temp will show it, but would have little if any effect on causing further damage.

Even my injected 350 isn't always smooth and happy on cold mornings till like the rest of us it warms and gets its juices flowing, it just won't respond to hot coffee like I do, but then again I wouldn't like being filled with hot oil. You'll just have to get it up to operating temp before it's really happy. If it holds pressures around 20-35 PSI hot idle and 55-65 cruise hot with 20-50 it's OK. If the pressures fall down again, then you know you're going deeper into it. Unless that happens don't borrow trouble, it's bad for your bod and brain.

Bogie
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

I really appreciate all of the replies. I do have a sample of the old oil to send off in a clean container. I am going to see what the engine does tomorrow when i get home from work. I really hope I am just paranoid. This is my first muscle car so I worry, whereas my father has had too many to remember and he says there is nothing wrong as well. But even if it is screwed up the only thing to do is fix it so if that comes to pass I will rely on you guys again lol. Thanks for everything and if something else comes up ill post it.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM

ok guys, if anyone is still following i have an update. I have officially ran the car today. On cold start it had around 65psi oil pressure. After warming up it is holding around 42 psi. It easily revs up to 80+ pounds and slowly lowers back to 42 on idle. I drove the car and it kept around 60psi driving normal and has 80+ pounds running through the gears. It still isn't smoking or doing anything out of the ordinary (I also felt the exhaust for any oil and it has nothing but sutt as usual). It seems to run as normal.
Are my oil pressure numbers normal? If not, what could be my problem?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Bogie, should he continue running the heavier oil over lets say a 10-30?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

I would think it should depend on the clearances. But I run 5W-30 in my 388.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
A 535hp 383 and you are relying on a toggle switch to run your fans? If your engine is putting out that much hp you have a pretty decent amount of money into it and you can't splurge for a thermostatic controlled fan switch? I say just change the oil and you should be fine. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890015/

ok.. thats just not always correct..
the painless fan relay controller.. has a toggle switch to let the themostatic switch control the fan,, then alway on (for engine off, but cooling in the pit area) and another spot on the toggle switch for fan off..
less hp loss from the electric draw as you go down the 1/4 mile

so??? thinking that a 535hp engine just might get raced..
how you come up with that post

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.