help with a 383 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

help with a 383 stroker

hi there im pretty new to this so help me out here. im looking into making a 383 out of a 5.7 vortex engine so i could use there good heads becuase i cant afford to buy new heads at the time i have a budget of about 1000-1500$ maybe 2000 and im looking to get 400hp or more if possible any ideas of what kind of cam, intake and carb i should go with i kinda want to do the whole tunnel ram with 2 450cfm or maybe 600cfm because i dont want to over carb my engine and just waste fuel.. and im not worried about mpg at all but i want to try and keep pump gas. i know i have to use a 400 crank but what else do i need to upgrade or swap out to make the stroker and what degree should i have it bored out .60?

kyle.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

30 over block with 3.75 stroke crank {400} crank for some will give you the 383 setup, you will need to have some clearencing done to the block to clear crankshaft counter weights and rod cap bolts..
Read this artical on 383/388 sbc strokers, will defantly give you some good info.. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._Chevy_stroker
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

a 30 over 350 block... needed to clairify
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If you plan to use an OEM 400 crank instead of an aftermarket piece, you need to have the mains machined. Look for a 383 rotating assembly/kit, much easier for a beginner.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM

that hyper link you gave to me was awsome thank you for that, and i think i will buy a kit from summit or jeggs.com what kind of pistons would you guys go for? and i was thinking about tunnel ram set up should i go for it or would it be to much carb for this kind of motor? and what about rocker arms would i need to buy after market or could i use the ones that are coming with the engine . 350 vortec 1996-2000
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM

and what about machine work and cost im willing to take the block to a shop and have it bored out but i would like to do all other clearance myself if its possible what would you recommend ?

thank you all kyle
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 AM

Clearing for a Stroker seems to differ from block to block. I had issues with the crank clearing the passenger rear pan rail, but yet had no issues with rods or cam, and I'm running .6 lift. I love stokers but to the inexperienced they can be confusing. I would think in your case you would be better of keeping the short block as is and upgrading your top end. Assuming the short block is decent. In my opinion it will be tough to do a Stroker build for under 1500. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Well I'm not upgrading the heads so its just going to be a mild build and the machine work I just want the cylinders bored out and I'm going to try and do the rest of the grinding myslf I know a couple car gurus that can help me Im just trying to retain as much info as I can so I personaly know how to do this kind of project.

And every bit is appreciated thank you
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I be Strokin!!!

I have about $4500 tied up in my 383 (budget build lol), and my machine shop short blocked it. It wouldn't be wise to go with standard vortec heads because you will lose alot of the torque and power that the 383 is known for because you will have to go with a much smaller cam. The fact that you are using a 600 carb (which I am) will pretty much allow it to be equal or out performed by 355 or 350 you can build for the same price.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

If you want to clear it yourself, it just takes alot of patience, you need to make sure the rod bolts clear the pain rails and the crank throw, and that the rod bolts don't contact the cam, but this shouldn't be an issue as you wouldn't be running a large cam. Basically get a Stroker kit install rotate and check everything just take time. In my opinion external balance is alot easier, assuming this is an 87 or later block it probably has roller provisions, but roller cams are alot expensive, but make the breakin process alot easier. Hopefully that makes sense
Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM

I have plenty of patience so that won't be a problem and ill go with a smaller cam then untill I can upgrade the heads and then ill upgrade my cam after I can afford heads. Thank you all. Now what kind of cam should I go for ? Anyone know of a kit that they would recomind? And yes I'm trying to go with a later block like 96-00
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
I be Strokin!!!

96-00 Are Roller Motors and will increase the price of the Cam,
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Since you have a budget that would be pushing it pretty close for your power goals with a 383 once you start finding all the little things that would add up I would just build a stout 355. You can easily make a 400hp 350 with even vortec heads and a roller cam. Instead of putting money into a rotating assembly do maybe just pistons, if they are the powder metal rods have arp bolts installed rebalance and if the budget permits put some money into some decent heads.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

So zid what your saying is just bore my block .30 over and upgrade my pistons,cam,intake,carb and I could have a high 3s to 400hp motor ? And I don't think I'm gonna.be able to afford heads anytime soon there pretty expensive lol unless you know of some cheap ones? But cheap is never good when it comes to performance.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

First off, are you using a Vortec 350 engine as the basis for this stroker?

Is it currently running?

What kind of shape is it in?

If you have a running 350 Vortec, you could install the right valve springs (which would allow a bigger cam without any machine work), a cam, headers / exhaust, intake, carb and good ignition and be close to your stated goal.

Next up, what is the purpose of this engine? Will it be driven on the street?

What kind of vehicle is it going in?

What kind of transmission? What rear end gear ratio?

You need to figure out what the purpose of this engine is. Too many people go in wanting 400 HP and end of with an engine that isnt fun to drive in their vehicle application.

Ditch the idea of using a factory 400 crank, UNLESS you have one. And if you have access to one, ditch the 383 idea and use the 400 block. A mild, well-though out 406 will EASILY put down close to 400HP and over 400 ft/lbs of torque.

Ive built both strokers and 400 based engines, and the 400 wins IF You have access to a good block / crank.

Now you do have the advantage, with the 350 Vortec, of being able to use a roller cam without springing for an expensive retrofit roller cam.

Figure out what you want, then go from there.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.