HELP! 455 Buick to Chevy C10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

HELP! 455 Buick to Chevy C10

My grandson and I are restoring a1970 Chevy C10. We wanted something different than a SBC and have a chance to pickup a sound 455 Buick engine very reasonable.( No bell-housing) For now we want to keep the Chevy 3 speed, which will eventually be replaced with a 4 speed. How can we mate the engine to the transmission? What parts are needed, are engine mounts available etc? Are we biting off more that we should? Thanks for your help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Three speed trans? Automatic or manual?. BOP to Chevy trans adapters are available from most hot rod trans suppliers. If the trans is manual. You will have to find a Buick stick flywheel.

Mounts are easy basic fabrication. I've done Caddy's into these bodies and love them. Buicks should be near the same.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Transmission

Sorry, we want to keep a manual transmission in the truck, so we will use the original 3 speed until we can pickup a Muncie 4 speed.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You need a BOP bellhousing, but the problem is that the truck transmissions have a larger bearing retainer than the car transmissions. As a result, the hole in the bellhousing that locates the transmission must be opened up to match the truck trans. A machine shop should be able to do this.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryn2rest
My grandson and I are restoring a1970 Chevy C10. We wanted something different than a SBC and have a chance to pickup a sound 455 Buick engine very reasonable.( No bell-housing) For now we want to keep the Chevy 3 speed, which will eventually be replaced with a 4 speed. How can we mate the engine to the transmission? What parts are needed, are engine mounts available etc? Are we biting off more that we should? Thanks for your help
Way more effort and cost than it's worth just to be a little different. Chevy big block is a drop in and way more of them are out there than BBBs.

Don't know if the 3 speed will put up with any large engine, Chevy used either the Saginaw (weak) or the Ford top loader (strong) depending on engine and VGW rating. If its the Saginaw it will not put up with a 455 or any other big block nor many small blocks.

As has been said; the BOP pattern on the block will not bolt to the Chev bell-housing, you'll need an adapter or a BOP bell housing.

Bogie
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM

i think summit or jeg's sell's the tci adapter plate for around $60 ? if no local place sell's it .
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Opinion

I think the 455 Buick swap idea is great, the are torque monsters. I had a Boattail Riviera with one. If it were me, I'd just find a BOP turbo 400 and call it a cool swap. olnolan
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I also love the idea and I think it's a worthwhile swap since you have the engine sourced already. I'm sure some of the other BOP bell housings might work but I'd stick with one from a Buick or get a new aftermarket one. For instance an Oldsmobile one will not work, starter's on the wrong side. I also would hesitate to carve out the center hole in an original housing just to fit the truck transmission. Since saggys came in both cars and trucks and if in fact the bearing retainer is too large to register in the housing, I would be more inclined to have the bearing retainer turned down to fit.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
I also love the idea and I think it's a worthwhile swap since you have the engine sourced already. I'm sure some of the other BOP bell housings might work but I'd stick with one from a Buick or get a new aftermarket one. For instance an Oldsmobile one will not work, starter's on the wrong side. I also would hesitate to carve out the center hole in an original housing just to fit the truck transmission.
Nearly all BOP bellhousings since the late 1960s have the starter notch on both sides to accommodate Buick starters as well as Pontiac/Olds starters.

Machining the center hole in the bellhousing to fit the truck bearing retainer is very common. I don't think you want to use the automatic transmission adapter plates on a manual trans as the extra thickness will space the input shaft out of the pilot bearing and may also cause a problem with the throwout bearing having enough travel.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

I put a 430 buick big block in my 83 c10 a while back. As far as the mounts go, i just got an angle grinder work my magic on some stock 68 riviera brackets. And I don't know about mating it with a 3 speed manual trans, i just had a 70 model th400 bolted up to it and it worked fine. These engines have alot more torque starting out than a 454, i roasted the tires off that truck with the 430 in it.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Here is what it looked like after i finished putting it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	430 bbb.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	61320  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.