help with 455 engine timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

help with 455 engine timing

Hi my name is gtoken and I have a 69 gto judge with a 1973 455 engine in it. I am trying to figure out what is the best timing to set the initial at and the advance at 3,000 rpm to help the engine run cooler in car cruise type traffic. Car runs a perfect water temp of 180 to 190 degrees while traveling. when I set in traffic for about 15 to 20 minutes the coolant temp will go up to around 220 to 230 and I got to let it cool down. The engine has 10:1 compression and I am also trying to get way from running 6 gallons of racing fuel to a full tank of premium. Any help or ideals will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I have a MSD billet distributor with no vacuum advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

I would try to help if you put your questions in the proper forum, but this is the introductory forum.

Bill

The Following User Says Thank You to WDCreech For This Useful Post:
gtoken (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I bet you dont have a fan shroud on it...Either that or its a rad problem.

Budget RVs
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Ken, It's like poncho said, if there is no shroud, get one. If you have a shroud, your radiator is probably mostly plugged. There is something you can check in the water pump to make it more efficiant, but that is not your problem. We'll tackle that later.

Bill
Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 PM

hello Bill

My car has a brand new four core HD Radiator and factory original fan shroud and I have tried several different Fan combinations to include an electric fan. I have been dealing with this problem ever since I installed the engine back in 1991. I use to drag race the car out at the track until a few years ago. When I had a 421 in the car out of a 1965 Bonneville. That engine could sit all day at idle and would not go past 160 degrees. This 455 is a total different story. I used to run the timing at 11 btdc and total 36 degrees. Now I started playing with the timing to see if it would help. the engine is bored 30 over but I wouldn't think that is to much of a bore from stock. I would love to see this car run at a cool temp when it sits in traffic like a car cruise. When I am moving the car will run at 180 degrees where it should. sorry for this long reply. gtoken PS if I am in the wrong area for posting my question how do I get to the right area this is all new to me thanks for your help
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

I'm just taking a guess, but if there is too much clearance between the plate and impeller of your water pump, at an idle it may not be moving enough coolant. Wallace Racing has a little about this: Water Pump Mods

Bill
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM

gtoken

Hi Bill I appreciated the info about the water pump suggestion. Off and on that has been in the back of my mind; that something could be going on with the water pump impeller. I did put a brand new pump on the engine when I Rebuilt the engine and installed it. I will diffidently look at that when I get a chance. Do you know the proper clearance for the impeller to water pump plate. Thanks for your help gtoken P.S. I did look at the web sight that you posted and it has the info I need for the clearances
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Also, I forgot to mention that a waterpump with cast impellars is preferred over one with the stamped impellars.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You didn't say what cam, etc. you're using, but increasing the initial timing sometimes helps. Be sure the total timing doesn't go too high if you add initial timing! Info on the GM HEI is here. I found the Pontiac 455 w/smog heads likes less than 36 degrees total, YMMV. Here is some info, including a link to see what's needed to set up the WP clearances. Don't forget the rubber grommets.

Also I've always found a thermostatically controlled fan clutch to work well. Be sure the fan fits the shroud correctly. Use a thermostat. More on all that can be found here.

It's unlikely, but be sure the crank pulley isn't smaller than stock and that the WP pulley isn't larger- either/both slows coolant flow.

Also, here's some links to Pontiac info and vendors.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-03-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM

gtoken

I appreciate all the info and at least know I have a few good ideals to help me along. Not for sure how soon I can get started on it but as soon as I do I will keep you informed.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Heating while moving slow or setting is usually an airflow problem or a slow moving coolant. Not a radiator .
I have my 389 set at 14 degree BTDC as of now, and the mechanical pulls in 20 degrees at 3200 rpm.
Also myvacuum module is adjustable and I have the tension set light, it pulls 10 degrees at 10 inches of vacuum. Doing that made it seem like it cruised effortlessly and seemd to have helped with temp some.
I also put in a dual row summit aluminum radiator, that was also real good for dropping the coolant temp.I still run 205 on a hot day after a while of running and I have a few more tricks u p my sleeve.
I am going to dilute the coolant to a mix of 70-30 as it transfers heat better and I have a bottle of REDLINE water wetter I will be adding also.
That should keep me at 200 or a tad under (I hope) on hot days.
I also have the stock fan shroud and 18 inch 6 blade with thermostatic clutch.Big pulle on crank and smaller on W pump.
The all aluminum radiator made the most difference as far as I am concerned.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.