Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Help on 48 Chevy front sheetmetal (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-48-chevy-front-sheetmetal-229087.html)

bear lake rodder 02-02-2013 09:56 AM

Help on 48 Chevy front sheetmetal

I am starting to install sheet metal on the front end of my 48 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I have a problem; it's been 4 years since I tore the car all apart and I cannot figure out where all of the fender liners, baffles, and other sheet metal inside the front fenders are supposed to go. I have searched this forum, searched Chevs of the 40s, and looked online for diagrams of the assemby of the front end and have come up with nothing. Does someone have a diagram from an assembly manual or photographs of the inside of a 48 Chevy front end? If so, it will save me a lot of time and potential screw ups.
Thank you!
Bear Lake Rodder

killeratrod 02-02-2013 10:51 AM

Hi,that is going to be a tuff one. Pictures should have been taken before , during dismantle . You will have to find someone with another one. Ask them if you can look at it and take lots of pictures if they let you.

455olds 02-03-2013 08:13 PM

I think you need the shop or assembly manual. I think it is on old car manuals web site.

carolinacustoms 02-03-2013 08:25 PM

If you don't have another one available to look at and take pictures of, I highly recommend buying one of the shop manuals. They have wiring diagrams, R&R instructions in detail, factory specs etc. I usually buy one for every car I restore If I don't already have one or if I am not pretty familiar with a certain vehicle. Cheap information and good reading :thumbup:
Best Of luck,
Kelly

Here's a link to one may find others. 1942 48 Chevy Car 1942 46 Chevy Truck Shop Manual | eBay

bear lake rodder 02-04-2013 05:39 AM

48 Chevy sheet metal diagram

Thank you for the information. I will see what I can find.
Bear Lake Rodder

bear lake rodder 02-04-2013 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought that I took a ton of photos but I just don't have the views that I need. I have figured out the larger inner panel that bolts to the radiator core support and the headlight baffles that also bolt to the core support. I think I have figured out the rear baffle that bolts to the side of the firewall in front of the doors, but I have two other small pieces with two metal tabs on each one that I can't figure out where they go. Half the car guys from around here are gone south for the winter. I will keep looking. I hate to spend $25 on a manual when all I need is the answer to this sheet metal. I have to update my journal to show what's been going on.
Bear Lake Rodder
48 Chevy Sedan Delivery

455olds 02-04-2013 04:25 PM

1942 This should be the on line version of the shop manual, it is free to use.

bear lake rodder 02-05-2013 06:42 AM

Thank you 455! I will give this a look. Somebody always comes through; you guys are awesome.
Bear Lake Rodder

455olds 02-05-2013 07:07 AM

You are welcome! Forums are a huge help with car stuff. Post pics of your car when you can.

bear lake rodder 02-05-2013 07:31 AM

That shop manual is interesting to read. Cars were so simple back in the day. I have a project journal (that I have not updated for a while but will do that soon). You can click on it in the threads.
Thanks again 455!
Bear Lake Rodder

bear lake rodder 02-14-2013 01:00 PM

48 Chevy sheet metal mystery

1 Attachment(s)
I think I figured out (with help) the front end sheet metal inside the fenders on my 48 Chevy SD, except for the pieces shown in the photos below. I think these might go by the radiator the way it WAS in the car at an angle, but I am not sure. Does anyone know where these pieces go?
Thank you for any help.
Bear Lake Rodder

dannronn 02-14-2013 05:02 PM

sheet metal

They might be the pieces that go between the engine and the frame on both sides. Splash panels for an inline six.

bear lake rodder 02-15-2013 07:04 AM

Found a guy

Just last night I bought a door hinge off a guy and he asked if I had any extra parts (rims) because he is doing a 46 Chevy! He's right here about 10 miles from my shop. I think he will be able to help me with this dilemma. And pictures? I thought I took a lot of pics, but when it comes to what you forgot, there is no picture!
Thanks for the reply dannronn!
Bear Lake Rodder

455olds 02-15-2013 08:07 AM

Good luck.