Help! 77 Chevy motor swap questions! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero
My plans for it so far is to get a motor and tranny in it just to be able to drive it. (2wd) then a little later start adding to make it back to a 4x4 when I can.
Well if that's all you want to do , just find a carbureted 350 engine and tranny from just about any non-computer chevy or GMC full size 2wd pickup or full size car , Impala , Caprice and just run stock manifolds for a 73 to 86 pickup and stock headpipes should bolt right up . Should just be a basic setup . Driveshaft will depend on what tranny comes out of . May have to have one made up but not a big deal .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

awesome good to finally hear a little good news on top of all the bad. I'm just hoping I can reconnect everything lol.

Plus I have no idea how im gonna drop a motor in there. I'm 6ft and this truck is way taller than me. Its alot bigger than what that pic shows. hood has to be atleast 6'4''

I dunno how id even jack this thing up if i had to lol
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
awesome good to finally hear a little good news on top of all the bad. I'm just hoping I can reconnect everything lol.

Plus I have no idea how im gonna drop a motor in there. I'm 6ft and this truck is way taller than me. Its alot bigger than what that pic shows. hood has to be atleast 6'4''

Wow . Be careful when you do get it running . It is not going to be the most stable thing on the road being that high . Let us know how it turns out . I'd like to see it in running condition .
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Here is a vid I just took, 1st time getting to look at it really. i had to leave for work right after it was delivered. was hard to get the camera over the hood so i just went under lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-JB8HCE1cU
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
My plans for it so far is to get a motor and tranny in it just to be able to drive it. (2wd) then a little later start adding to make it back to a 4x4 when I can.
I suggest that you dont do that......It is going to drive real weird with that front end with no 4x4......

Looking at your video, that trans and transfer case is not what belongs in that truck from the factory...

My thought would be to part this truck out and buy something that is a bit more together to drive.....just my opinion
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

^^ trans is a 4 speed with no bellhousing or clutch. I'm wanting an auto anyway.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

YIKES ! ! After seeing this video I'd say you bought yourself a cobbled together mess that belongs in the boneyard. Sorry , but personally I would not mess with it . That is NOT the trans and transfercase that came in that truck . Don't know anything else about it , but I don't get a good feeling . I feel bad for you that you bought this sight unseen . Time to get rid of it !
Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

CZ,

You said in one of your postings that you want to put it together as a 2wd for now then switch it back to 4wd later.

This in my opinion is a very bad idea. You will get parts set for the two wheel built or by from a wrecked truck that will not be used in the 4 wheel drive set-up. Like the rear drive-shaft. You will have one made for the 2wd application which will need to be shortened when you go back to the 4wd. Just using up time and your money.

Don't get so excited that you start throwing money and time at this thing.

Scholman
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman
CZ,

You said in one of your postings that you want to put it together as a 2wd for now then switch it back to 4wd later.

This in my opinion is a very bad idea. You will get parts set for the two wheel built or by from a wrecked truck that will not be used in the 4 wheel drive set-up. Like the rear drive-shaft. You will have one made for the 2wd application which will need to be shortened when you go back to the 4wd. Just using up time and your money.

Don't get so excited that you start throwing money and time at this thing.

Scholman
Like I said . I wouldn't fool with it after seeing the video. It would also need a different tailshaft for the transmission along with the married transfer case to make it right . It is hard to say what trans and tranfercase it has now . Looks like it could be an early Dodge with the divorced transfercase .
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That looks like a pretty typical mud truck around here....they are right, that ISN'T the transfer case that came in that truck, but I believe it's stronger, looks like a Dana 60 rear, probably also upgraded, and IIRC, the stock front axle is a driver's side driveshaft, yours is passenger, which would leave you either stuck with that transfer case, or swapping front axles. Looks like a hell of a mud truck project, for sure, it's got a lot of good pieces, but probably won't make a good street truck.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM

CZ,

I watched your video. Next time how about a little talk as to what you are looking at and what you plan for this thing.

This truck is NOT STOCK!!! I think this was made to rock climb and do some heavy-duty off road antics. Fun to do but not a daily driver.

I go back to the drive shaft you will need to have made. It will need to be at least 8 feet long so it will need a center carrier bearing. Then when you change back to 4wd the shaft will need to be made shorter and reconnect to the transfer case.

While I am typing this response I think your best bet would be to find the running gear from another truck.

The other problem you are going to have is the steering set-up. I did not see a pitman arm on the steering box and not a single tie-rod or anything to get this truck back on the road in the front end.

Hey it is a GREAT project truck if you are into off roading and rock climbing. But you need to know more than just part replacement. You need to do TONS of welding and fabricating. Be sure before you get so deep into this project you can't get out later on when things get very expensive.

Scholman(retired)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman
CZ,

I watched your video. Next time how about a little talk as to what you are looking at and what you plan for this thing.

This truck is NOT STOCK!!! I think this was made to rock climb and do some heavy-duty off road antics. Fun to do but not a daily driver.

I go back to the drive shaft you will need to have made. It will need to be at least 8 feet long so it will need a center carrier bearing. Then when you change back to 4wd the shaft will need to be made shorter and reconnect to the transfer case.

While I am typing this response I think your best bet would be to find the running gear from another truck.

The other problem you are going to have is the steering set-up. I did not see a pitman arm on the steering box and not a single tie-rod or anything to get this truck back on the road in the front end.

Hey it is a GREAT project truck if you are into off roading and rock climbing. But you need to know more than just part replacement. You need to do TONS of welding and fabricating. Be sure before you get so deep into this project you can't get out later on when things get very expensive.

Scholman(retired)
DITTO ! adantessr (also retired)
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Lot of work there ahead of yourself, But i have seen worse but it's going to take a bundle of cash and alot of work to do it right where you can rally enjoy it.JMO And you are going to have to have a new drive shaft made also
ex-specially if you leave out the T/C. Just thought i would throw that out there not a expensive thing but your going to need one. Among other things.
IMHO i wouldn't fool with it if i wasen't going to do it safe and correct.JMO

Cole
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There are probably a bunch of guys looking for just such a project for a rock crawler or mud truck, but if you plan to make it a real street truck, it probably won't be worth it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:

One of your first moves if you tackle this project, is to get a set of street tires and wheels under it (ex.- 235-75/15's ) so that it is a little closer to earth. Just while you work on it, you know?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.