Help 88' Chevy 350 rebuild??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help 88' Chevy 350 rebuild???

I have an 88' Chevy truck I am getting ready to rebuild. I use the truck as a daily driver, but I need to pull a trailer once a month.

So what I am asking is if you were rebuilding this engine how would you do it??

Using the stock TBI. It has 193 14102193 heads, 4 speed manual Trans, and 373 gears..

Any input would be great

Thank you

Showa72

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
What amount of weight will you be pulling? what size rear wheels?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
What amount of weight will you be pulling? what size rear wheels?
About 10,000 lbs, the rear wheel are 285 75 r16.

Thank you for your help
Showa72
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Hi,
These TBI things are a pain, the heads run out of puff around 4,000 rpm, the cam is to small, etc

http://forums.carcraft.com/70/660944...-up/index.html
Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

OFr your application I would say that the heads and TBI are pretty good. How often do you tow at over 4,000 RPM?

I would do some port clean up and have a good valve job done,one to maximize flow around .300" lift. Compression around 9:1 (maybe as high as 9.2 but no higher than that). 1 5/8" long tube headers, a good Y pipe into a single 3" exhaust. If you want to keep the TBI manifold I would look into porting what you can, no need to go big just smooth it out. You'll need to have either a stand a lone EMS like megasquirt or get yours modified to handle the other modifications you have made.

If you have the money a 383 kit would be nice, but it would raise the costs considerably. For ths application you cold run a stock crank, stock rods, and some good hypereutic pistons, nothing fancy really.

Here's a good cam match:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-110315-10/

running that with 1.6 rockers wouldn't be a bad option either- to really maximize the tq.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
OFr your application I would say that the heads and TBI are pretty good. How often do you tow at over 4,000 RPM?

I would do some port clean up and have a good valve job done,one to maximize flow around .300" lift. Compression around 9:1 (maybe as high as 9.2 but no higher than that). 1 5/8" long tube headers, a good Y pipe into a single 3" exhaust. If you want to keep the TBI manifold I would look into porting what you can, no need to go big just smooth it out. You'll need to have either a stand a lone EMS like megasquirt or get yours modified to handle the other modifications you have made.

If you have the money a 383 kit would be nice, but it would raise the costs considerably. For ths application you cold run a stock crank, stock rods, and some good hypereutic pistons, nothing fancy really.

Here's a good cam match:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-110315-10/

running that with 1.6 rockers wouldn't be a bad option either- to really maximize the tq.

I try not to go over 4000 rpm when I'm towing, but sometimes I do.. I was going to port match the heads and the intake, would that be to much. Or just a good smooth over like you said?

Thanks
Showa72
Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

personaly i hate TBI and i could never rebuild a motor to perform like stock or just over stock. if you have the skills, experiance and tools to do the machine work on you own heads i might would say go for it. porting and polishing as well as valve and bowl work in my opinion shouldn't be atemped by someone who doesn't have experiance with it with out having someone with experiance looking over his/her shoulder and guiding them along the way as you can do more harm then good.

this is just what i would do: since it is going into a truck and low end tq will be a factor i would lean toward a 383, since you dont want a bunch of hp then you dont really need to go purchase an expensive set of heads, i would look for a set of used heads, or for the 062,906 96'-00' vortec heads (it almost gets annoying how much we recomend these heads, but they are worth it) i agree with AP on the compression you want to keep it in the 9:1's with that you could run a mild cam like say a 258H or 262H (since it would be a 383 either of these cams would act like a slightly milder cam in a 350), rpm intake, a 750 vac sec carb, set of 1 5/8 headers, i dont think i would ever run a Y-pipe unless i had to due to state restrictions, so if possible i would run 2.5" duals. all of this shoud go well with 3.73 gears. it should be all you would need to pull 10k, but you would need to make sure that the frame and suspension where up to that task as well as i dont think i would tow 10k on a bone stock half ton suspension. i drive a late model 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4.10's and a locker and in the summer i pull a trailer with full of hay that's roughly 8-9K and i can feel it but that is also in field too, and every summer we take the kids up to the mountains to camp and i pull a 28' camper i believe it to be similar in weight and i can feel it going up the grade of the mountains i dont think i would want to try it in a 1/2 ton truck.

anyway this combo should get you around 340hp and over 400tq down low
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
personaly i hate TBI and i could never rebuild a motor to perform like stock or just over stock. if you have the skills, experiance and tools to do the machine work on you own heads i might would say go for it. porting and polishing as well as valve and bowl work in my opinion shouldn't be atemped by someone who doesn't have experiance with it with out having someone with experiance looking over his/her shoulder and guiding them along the way as you can do more harm then good.

this is just what i would do: since it is going into a truck and low end tq will be a factor i would lean toward a 383, since you dont want a bunch of hp then you dont really need to go purchase an expensive set of heads, i would look for a set of used heads, or for the 062,906 96'-00' vortec heads (it almost gets annoying how much we recomend these heads, but they are worth it) i agree with AP on the compression you want to keep it in the 9:1's with that you could run a mild cam like say a 258H or 262H (since it would be a 383 either of these cams would act like a slightly milder cam in a 350), rpm intake, a 750 vac sec carb, set of 1 5/8 headers, i dont think i would ever run a Y-pipe unless i had to due to state restrictions, so if possible i would run 2.5" duals. all of this shoud go well with 3.73 gears. it should be all you would need to pull 10k, but you would need to make sure that the frame and suspension where up to that task as well as i dont think i would tow 10k on a bone stock half ton suspension. i drive a late model 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4.10's and a locker and in the summer i pull a trailer with full of hay that's roughly 8-9K and i can feel it but that is also in field too, and every summer we take the kids up to the mountains to camp and i pull a 28' camper i believe it to be similar in weight and i can feel it going up the grade of the mountains i dont think i would want to try it in a 1/2 ton truck.

anyway this combo should get you around 340hp and over 400tq down low
I have a 2500 6 lug, so I guess it is a heavy half. It has a 14-bolt semi-floating axle and 3/4 ton springs with air bags. The weight on the truck is not a problem. The pulling over mountains is another story. I live at 3900ft and the mountains I pull are a little over 9000 ft. My trailer is 32' and kills my truck when I pull mountains. I live in West Jordan, Utah and we have state restrictions, and I will have to run the TBI. Out here, I cannot even put a big block in my truck because it did not come with one. They passed that law in affect to 85' and newer.

I have a set of dart heads, 86cc, 190/165 valves I could run on it, I also have a set of 1.72 rocker arms and a set of 1.60/1.50 both sets are roller. I can do the machine work on the heads. If I build a 383, would I want to use 5.7 or 6.0 rods? I have heard that one makes more TQ then the other. I am not sure if that is true or not.

Thank you
Showa72
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM

5.7 rods or 6.0 rods wont make any difference at the level you intend to use them, this question has been a debate for years but what it all comes down to is the difference made wont be seen untill you get into all out race motors and even then the difference is minisquel.

that sucks that you have to run the TBI, you may want to just build the 350 then, i really can't help you with the TBI as i have never messed with one but i'm sure that others on here have. the truck sounds as if it should be able to handle the payload, i live at and below sea level (i know it sounds impossible but yes parts of the US are below sea level especially near the coast lines) and the mountains i climb are only 4000-5000ft but i can still feel it on my truck with the camper, if the camper isn't attached she cuts through the incline like butter but she's gotta work harder with the camper.

i know that you are still able to build the 383 with the TBI as well but find someone on here who has done it and get everything from them as possible, good luck man

oh i have never heard of a set of DART heads with 86cc heads, maybe 72cc or 76cc but not 86cc you may want to check that for your self, search measureing the cc of heads on here and the result would tell you everything you need to know to do it, its easy
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Hi Showa,
I also have an 88 350 TBI yours has heaver suspension then mine, I've tried towing with this thing three different times it's such a pain that I don't use it for that anymore, I live in the mountains also, I use the Ford for towing now you wouldn't believe the difference.
Anyway if you were to change to a big block & then take it out of state & register it, then bring it back into your state & register it, would that fly?
Rich
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
5.7 rods or 6.0 rods wont make any difference at the level you intend to use them, this question has been a debate for years but what it all comes down to is the difference made wont be seen untill you get into all out race motors and even then the difference is minisquel.

that sucks that you have to run the TBI, you may want to just build the 350 then, i really can't help you with the TBI as i have never messed with one but i'm sure that others on here have. the truck sounds as if it should be able to handle the payload, i live at and below sea level (i know it sounds impossible but yes parts of the US are below sea level especially near the coast lines) and the mountains i climb are only 4000-5000ft but i can still feel it on my truck with the camper, if the camper isn't attached she cuts through the incline like butter but she's gotta work harder with the camper.

i know that you are still able to build the 383 with the TBI as well but find someone on here who has done it and get everything from them as possible, good luck man

oh i have never heard of a set of DART heads with 86cc heads, maybe 72cc or 76cc but not 86cc you may want to check that for your self, search measureing the cc of heads on here and the result would tell you everything you need to know to do it, its easy

Thank you
Showa72
Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi Showa,
I also have an 88 350 TBI yours has heaver suspension then mine, I've tried towing with this thing three different times it's such a pain that I don't use it for that anymore, I live in the mountains also, I use the Ford for towing now you wouldn't believe the difference.
Anyway if you were to change to a big block & then take it out of state & register it, then bring it back into your state & register it, would that fly?
Rich

That is a good question and something I will look in too...

Thanks
Showa72
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There comes a point where a SBC is just plain out of its league, AFA torque goes.

You're at the point where a diesel or BBC could make sense, IMHO. Not that a SBC can't be built to deal w/the requirements- but when you add up all the parts and such, you may find a different approach (or different truck entirely) makes more sense in the long run.

If this isn't an option, I'd have to vote for more displacement, or be willing to spin a 355 SBC a bit more than would be my personal 'comfort zone'.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
There comes a point where a SBC is just plain out of its league, AFA torque goes.

You're at the point where a diesel or BBC could make sense, IMHO. Not that a SBC can't be built to deal w/the requirements- but when you add up all the parts and such, you may find a different approach (or different truck entirely) makes more sense in the long run.

If this isn't an option, I'd have to vote for more displacement, or be willing to spin a 355 SBC a bit more than would be my personal 'comfort zone'.

Good luck.
You are right about the Diesel or a BBC, I just don't have the extra money to buy another tuck.
I could get away with a 400 sbc as long as the person doing the State IM doesn’t know the difference between a 400 and 350 balancer. But that would be the same chance I take with a stroked engine. I know the 400 will probably give me overheating problems.
I have never looked at doing a 355. I don't know a lot about the 355. So I will have to look into the 355 more.

Thank you
Showa72
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

a 355 is only a 350 block bored .030 over and new pistons, you will likely have to do this to the origianal 350 motor anyway since you were looking at rebuilding the motor.

Utah sounds like it has some very strict vehicle regulations, i can't believe that a state inspector would look at the balancer to see if it was a stroked motor or a 400, that is crazy. you mentioned that these regulations were put on vehicles that are 85' an newer, i might would look into selling the truck you have (as long as you have another vehicle for transportation) and looking for an older 3/4 or full ton truck, then rebuild an engine for it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.