Help air compressor died? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help air compressor died?

Helllo my Porter-Cable CPL6025. died today, It is An oil-lube, belt-driven design with a 25-gallon horizontal tank. 8.6cfm @ 40psi, 6.8cfm @ 90psi.

My garage only has 120v hookups and it seems today there are no compressors to compare to this level of airflow at this 120V size.
I used this compressor to do bodywork spray paint etc. and I was just able to get by with it. Anything with a smaller cfm rating won't work.

My current compressor had a max psi rating of 135 and the pump kicked in at 110 psi

The only improvement I can see from similar sized compressors made today is that they have a higher max psi say 175 and kick in at 145 psi. But they flow less cfm delivering 4.9 scfm at 40 psi and 4.7 scfm at 90 psi.

*Does this higher Max psi make up for the lack in cfm???
Here is the new one I am looking at
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ir+Compressors

Here is the one I have that is discontinued
http://www.air-compressors.com.ar/ai...B00004Z06D.htm

Thanks I am supposed to pick one up tomorrow morning and am lost......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM

compressor

What died, pumps and motors are available.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM

The electric motor has two humps on top, some sort of solenoid under each cover but I am not sure what they are. The back hump started to spit out oil and smoke a little, it has two wires connecting to it. The motor was sucking more juice than usual and blowing 30 amp fuses in the fuse box. It started up and ran for maybe 30 seconds before blowing the fuse. I can't find any info on what this might be.....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

hey that may be an easy one

sounds like your capacitor went out on ya! thats should be no problem to fix (if thats what it is) smoke, black tar/oil sounds like a capacitor. unplug the compressor take the hump/cover off the side of the motor look to see what micro farad it is then search for one with a similar micro farad size......
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Where does one find a capacitor. At any hardware store, radio shack or does it have to come from the manufacturer?

Thanks..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Registered.........

Last photo:

My 2 cents:

Your best bet to find a replacement capacitor will probably be an appliance repair store or a HVAC parts house. I personally have only had luck a handful of times finding a replacement capacitor locally. Like it was stated in a previous post, remove the cover and see if there is any info on the failed cap, i.e: the MFD # as well as voltage.

If that's not available your next best bet is to purchase a new motor. This is more expensive that replacing a capacitor, but cheaper than buying a new compressor. Plus, you get to keep the cast iron compressor which is FAR superior than any oil less compressor pump (and much quieter too).

I work in the commercial HVAC trade and see/have worked on many compressors - the oil less type ARE NOT made for continuous useage. The pistons are some plastic/nylon composite crap and the loose there ability to seal ( pump ) quite quickly if used in high cycle conditions. I have personally seen three failed oil less pumps (failed pistons w/blown rods in every case) in the last two months alone - however I have also seen MANY cast iron pumps that have years (thousands of operating hours) of use still chugging away.

If you choose to keep the older compressor, change the oil with some fresh 30W non-detergent oil, drain the tank (open the drain valve on the bottom of the tank weekly to release the built up moisture in thank once it is under pressure) and clean or replace the air filter - your compressor will repay you by many more years of dependable use.

Also, check this thread out - If anyone is looking for a new air compressor you might want to check this out.
I don't know if there's a compressor available sized to fit your needs, but it might be worth a shot.

Last edited by wild one; 12-30-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Last photo:

get out the phone book

look under electric motors maybe that will work for ya! if not try ebay your sure to be able to find one
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonA.

That Sears compressor is a terrible choice!

Nothing makes up for a lack of CFM, NOTHING!!! That compressor is just using the high pressure as a gimmick to make it look high performance when it is not, it has simply traded more CFM at a usable pressure for less CFM at a higher pressure. Sure you will store more (but much hotter due to this being a single stage) air in the tank but that is next to meaningless and is no more useful than a few more gallons of tank space at the lower pressure of your old compressor, certainly not the 60 gallons that Sears suggests but that would not help much anyway. The compressor you have is a much better design and if it is feasible to fix it you would be much better off, what part failed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild one
the oil less type ARE NOT made for continuous useage.

Not sure I would completely agree with you, IMO they are not made for usage at all!

Last edited by oldred; 12-30-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Motor Start Capacitor

Hey Brandon, You will likely find what you need here;
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...n_dim_search=1
olnolan
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonA.
The electric motor has two humps on top, some sort of solenoid under each cover but I am not sure what they are. The back hump started to spit out oil and smoke a little, it has two wires connecting to it. The motor was sucking more juice than usual and blowing 30 amp fuses in the fuse box. It started up and ran for maybe 30 seconds before blowing the fuse. I can't find any info on what this might be.....

Completely missed that!

Sounds like a new capacitor is all you are going to need to put you back in business.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Last photo:

It should go without saying, unplug that compressor before changing that capacitor. If it is hardwired open the breaker. BE SAFE and test for voltage with a DVM (digital volt meter) before working on it.

Vince
Old 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

CFM is what it's all about.

Fix you motor and you'll be back in bussiness.
If you buy another compressor be concended with the CFM moreso than the PSI it's what is needed for most of your tools.
QUOTE=brandonA.]Helllo my Porter-Cable CPL6025. died today, It is An oil-lube, belt-driven design with a 25-gallon horizontal tank. 8.6cfm @ 40psi, 6.8cfm @ 90psi.

My garage only has 120v hookups and it seems today there are no compressors to compare to this level of airflow at this 120V size.
I used this compressor to do bodywork spray paint etc. and I was just able to get by with it. Anything with a smaller cfm rating won't work.

My current compressor had a max psi rating of 135 and the pump kicked in at 110 psi

The only improvement I can see from similar sized compressors made today is that they have a higher max psi say 175 and kick in at 145 psi. But they flow less cfm delivering 4.9 scfm at 40 psi and 4.7 scfm at 90 psi.

Here is the one I have that is discontinued
http://www.air-compressors.com.ar/ai...B00004Z06D.htm

Thanks I am supposed to pick one up tomorrow morning and am lost......[/QUOTE]
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. It was the capacitor on top of the motor. I had to drive 100 milles one way to get one but I feel better now!!! This forum rocks!!!!

Brandon

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.