Help With Alot On My Truck Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Wiki Edits: 0

Help With Alot On My Truck Build

Im going to give a brief story first. Im not building an older auto. Shes a 2000 Toyota Tundra. This however is where I am having some issues. This is the first time that I have ever heavily built onto an auto WITHOUT coilovers in the rear. Its a 3 leaf and 1 strut on each side system. This is also the first time I have built onto a RWD auto. I have always built up FWD autos with 4s and 6s. Kind of a product of age and friendships. I also have a slight problem with learning simple things. The setup shouldnt be this hard and I have researched and researched but I am still lost as to exactly what needs to be done to pull one of two options off. Here is my predicament. As I said its a 3 leaf 1 strut setup on each side. I want to try to avoid a c notch. I want to lower as much as I am able to. I havent decided if I want to stick with the leafs or convert to coilovers. I bought a flip kit but I am concerned putting it on due to driveshaft issues. If you would please explain in details on how to pull a drop with leafs without a c notch or shorter shaft and different pinions/gearing. Also the same with a coilover setup. If I were to go to coilover I want to stay away from an outer link to frame setup. I was thinking of running 4 coils on axles mounted at angles to frame or support attached to frame with two on one side and two on the other then having 4 linkage supports bars to run from axle to frame or support on frame. Any surprise issues with this route? I mainly want to stay away from having to swap out drivetrain parts. Not to that yet and I want to get a sturdy suspension system setup first even though they kind of go hand in hand in the rear but yeah. Any advice opinions anything at all is welcomed thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Z the frame front and rear.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered

Wiki Edits: 0

Ok if that was done would a step back down be necessary? How would the integrety of the Z'ed frame respond under loads of torque? Would this cancel out any drivetrain swapping issues? Im wanting a 7-8" if not more drop in the rear. After lightening the truck she sits raked so guesstimations it rose 2"s. I dont think I would be able to Z the front with room issues. I am going to run coilovers with different arms and rods.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.