Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HELP WITH B&M SHIFT KIT/TURBO 350
View Single Post
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
leejoy leejoy is offline
72NOVA454
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: chicago area
Age: 51
Posts: 922
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_ba_do_bang
I guess i'll have to spell out my words around here, and i didn't want to come off like a know it all. I was trying to give him as much advice as possibly to maximize his potential for success. I think i built my first trans when i was 13, it was a 700. I started building a hydroplane when i was 10 and rebuilt and tuned the outboard for it when i was 14.

I realize you might not run them down with an impact gun, but people have, and you never know. I've seen multiple transmission rebuilds where the pump wouldn't lay flat (because the inside wasn't correct) and the tech just ran the pump bolts down and jammed it in and broke the pump and other hard parts. Unfortunately there are alot of hacks in this industry, the attitude of "just get a bigger hammer" is the worst. Why not just get it right and have the satisfaction that you put it together right. How many times can you not get the drainplug out of the oil pan because some idiot at walmart jiffy lube ran it in with an impact. There's my rant for the day.

About the inch pound torque wrench, if this is the only time you ever want to take your valve body out, you can just tighten it by hand. Having one does help alot in all aspects and if your a tool junkie like me its a cool addition.

Defiantly keep us posted on you progress.
dear shabodobang:

Well I'm moving along with that shift kit project on the Turbo 350. I just removed the detent valve clip, and then loosened all bolts on the valve body and dropped the valve body out. What a mess. when dropping the valve body you have to remove the "Z" shaped linkage clip that connects the valve body to the rooster bracket. I had to let it drip for 2-3 hours as it drained about half of the torque converter also before the dripping stopped. There is no such thing as having to many rags, shop towels, and cardboard for this job, not to mention 1 or 2 large (24" x 24" minimum) size drain pans and some empty 1 gallon plastic jugs with lids to dump the fluid into (about 6 quarts). My next step is to remove the seperator plate, then the main plate and gaskets (and check ball valves) I will keep you posted with my progress.
Reply With Quote