Help!! With banging out dents Please Help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 04:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Help!! With banging out dents Please Help!

AHHAHHHHHhHHhHHhHH!!!!!

Ok I brazed some holes shut for the door moulding on my pinto. There was some distortion so I bought Ron Covells Basic Techniques for working with steel video.

(I thought it would be smart)

Watched it and started hammering away with the heel dolly and flat hammer. I got the warpage almost fixed then I think I did something wrong? The metal sticked out more then it should so I tried to hammer it back in. Im pretty sure I stretched the metal cause with one tap the metal will go in and with one tap it will go out. Its not even. Can someone with experience please help me out for these type of dents plz.

http://groups.msn.com/BettaPics/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

last 2 pics at bottom Thanks, Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2003, 04:53 PM

oil can affect

Sounds like the metal is stretched just a little if you get soft spot. Get you torch out on low flame and heat up a spot 'red' about the size of a dime. Having your hammer and dolly handy before hand to get it while it's very hot. Also have a place to quickly lay your torch down ie across a bucket or something or safley hand it to a helper. Quickly place the dolly on the spot and hammer the spot bouncing your hammer strokes toward the centre of the spot. around an around. Hold the dolly by letting it bounce upon strikes. 5-6 strikes should do it. Cool it with compressed air if you have. A wet rag will work but i find it makes the metal hard but it works. All this must happen quickly while the spot is hot. The larger the red hot spot the more it will shrink. If it goes too far in, bump it back out carefully and try again. You'll have to use some filler anyway so a little on the 'in' side is fine.
Hope this helps.It does take some experiance to master a good shrink but it's kind of fun too. Wack an old hood or something to stretch it and experiment a bit if you like.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks im gonna give it another try. Ill be practicing on my old door after this. Thanks for the response, Chris
Old 08-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Before!!

AFTER!!

Thank ya sir I need to shrink it a little bit more but damn it feels good to learn howto do this. Thankss
Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Not to let the air out of your sails Chris, but it takes a long time to learn that technic, and each one will be different, but as long as you use a tourch you will create a warped place that you have to fix. If you use a mig you wont have any of that, you can fix 10 holes with a mig to one with a tourch. I could go on and on on the pros and cons of a tourch.It`s an antique methed. You also create a stress point in the panel that you need to fix or it will show.

Troy

Last edited by troy-curt; 08-28-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

I gotcha my dad and I are going out this weekend and getting a mig welder. Practice makes perfect I cant wait to fix the gap in the raingutters and mold the bumpers.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:50 PM

only way to go

mig is the most universal welder you can buy. The only time i use my torch now is shrinking and heating. Mig is so easy to use too. Easier than a torch. Just DON'T buy flux core wire. It welds dirty and messy and too hot. You'll luv a mig. Take a course at your local school. You'll speed your skills 3 fold. Like the last post, you'll keep your warping down big time. GOOD LUCK

BRASS oh no, never use it if you don't have too. It's good if you need to 'sweat' a joint in an awkward area. If you use brass make sure it's very clean and not a spec of flux left behnd. I will chemicly react under ur bondo. Sandblast the brass with a little hand held 'pea shooter' blaster

Last edited by snoman; 08-28-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:58 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Chris...if you get a mig welder MAKE SURE you get one with a gas setup. Then go to your local welding place and rent a bottle of gas. The gas will shield the weld and make for a much cleaner weld. Also as far as stretching the metal they also make hammers that are used to shrink the metal.

Kevin
Old 08-29-2003, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Well my dad just bought a 90 amp flux wire welder on harbor freight made by Chicago Electric for 145.98. It is gasless. Dad says that the tanks and gas are annoying and always running low on gas, and gotta get them refilled constantly. So im just gonna listen to him and use the damn thing. Im really thinking about buying a set of hammers and everything from covell.biz.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Gas is half the secret of welding sheetmetel.

Troy
Old 08-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:

I've done some work with 22 gauge metal using .030 flux core. The key is to not get into the mindset of laying a bead down. It's all done in little blips. Do tiny tacks (ensuring you are getting penetration) until you have tacked the entire panel.

Have a gas kit for my mig finally...but haven't found the time to test it out. Gas is supposed to allow you to weld up to 22 guage more effectively, without evaporating the metal.

A good set of hammers and dollys is a really good investment. It will amaze you how much easier hammering on metal is when you have quality tools.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 AM

flux wire

that welder is one step up from gas welding with a torch. Cheapo welder- cheapo results.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Can't stress enough how much better MIG is than flux core wire feed for sheet metal. Almost impossible to get good sheet metal welds with the flux getting in the way of the spot welds. Flux rod is great for running a bead on wrought-iron fence, etc., but not for sheet metal. I got my Lincoln w/ gas set up @ Harbor Freight plus a big 25 cuft gas bottle. Gas last as well as my oxy/acetylene - those tiny bottles that they sell are a joke.

I really think you will be disappointed with your flux rod welding experience. Try it with 0.023" wire and gas and you will never look back!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

How much money does it cost for a gas setup for the mig?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

$107 for regulator

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p002036.htm

Maybe a little cheaper at Harbor Freight. They don't show them on their web site but they carry them.

Cylinder is about $125 @ Harbor Freight. I said I had a 25 cuft cylinder but I meant 125 cuft. Senior moments are coming more quickly all the time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.