help with basic question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help with basic question

I made a test board to try to understand parallel and series circuits better. While fooling around I disconnected the bat neg cable and attached the black DVM lead to bat neg terminal and red lead to bat cable - got 12.57v. Then I replaced the DVM leads with a test light and the light did not light. I understand that the light isn't supposed to light unless you have a parasitic draw. But, why doesn't it light? I can't get past why the bulb isn't acting like a load. So I obviously don't understand basic electricty. Please help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Does your test light work at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
I made a test board to try to understand parallel and series circuits better. While fooling around I disconnected the bat neg cable and attached the black DVM lead to bat neg terminal and red lead to bat cable - got 12.57v. Then I replaced the DVM leads with a test light and the light did not light. I understand that the light isn't supposed to light unless you have a parasitic draw. But, why doesn't it light? I can't get past why the bulb isn't acting like a load. So I obviously don't understand basic electricty. Please help.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Based on your description, the bulb in the test light should have worked.

Bruce
Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Yes, the test light is functional.

The bat neg cable is disconnected from the bat. I have one lead of the test light connected to the bat neg cable and the other lead connected to the neg bat terminal.

It was my understanding this was a method of checking for parasitic drain. If the light goes on, even faintly, you have a parasitic drain. I don't have that problem so the light, correctly I believe, does not go on. Am I right on this much?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
its homemade, and its cheap!!!

i have used that test light theory many times. first i disconect the batt neg cable and see if i have a drain with a test light. if i do i then remove fuses one at a time till the test light that is connected to the batt and the ground cable turns off. that way i know where and what circuit has the drain....

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I thought I understood that concept correctly - that is - the test light should not light unless there is a parasitic drain.

I see a lot of people have read this so I guess I'll just drop it. Thanks to those who replied.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 AM

I don't think your question got answered, so here is my shot at it--The reason that you would see a "draw" with a meter and not a test light would be due to a clock, fancy radio, or the vehicle's computer "keep alive" circuit. They will draw voltage, but not enough amperage to light up a test light. If the light stays out, you don't have enough of a "draw" to drain your battery.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

I will try to explain a different way.
The DVM has an extremely high resistance in the voltage scales. It was designed thay way, because the idea with a volt meter, is that hooking one up should not cause any changes in the circuit you are testing, by drawing any current in it.

A DVM only "uses" a few millionths of an amp of current to read a voltage.
The test light needs maybe a third of an amp to light.

The cars electronics are designed similar to the volt meter. They do not use much current to "keep alive", and remember stuff. (radio settings, the time, engine computer programming, any trouble codes) But all these electronics will still use more current than a volt meter. So, the volt meter will show a voltage, but the test light will not light.

If you have an older car, with no electronics, and everything off, it may be possible to hook up a volt meter, and get no reading, but even then it will still show something, because the leads of the volt meter will actually pick up radio signals.

I hope this helps you to understand.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Fellas, thanks much for your replies. I do appreciate it and you did help.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.