Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with battery draining gremlins, 83 pontiac with 305
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with battery draining gremlins, 83 pontiac with 305

Hey guys, Long story short, My friend has an 83 pontiac bonneville that had the alternator go bad on it. I helped him replace it and verified it was outputting the proper voltage and charging the battery unlike the old one. I sent him on his way and a week later he calls me saying the battery is dead. I recheck the alternator and its charging like it should. So i figure something must be draining the battery with the key off. So i hook up my meter to measure current draw and with the ignition off I get a reading of no draw. I'm a little confused right now. So the car is charging and starts fine normally with the battery yet goes dead over the week even though I see no appreciable load on the battery with the ignition off. The only thing I can think of is that my meter can't read the small load thats being put on the battery. It has to have a short or something somewhere for all the power to be drained right? Thanks for any advice
-Taylor