help bent pushrods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2002, 02:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post help bent pushrods

i have rebuilt 350 chev.valves out of adjustment on fresh start up.i bent 8 pushrods only ran for about 3-4 minutes then i shut it down.never had this problem before i dont know where i goofed up.in a hurry trying to battle the weather elements.i replaced the bent rods now it trys to start but dont now i suspect i bent the valves if i did i was wondering if i can replace them or did it mess the guides up or something else up da help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2002, 03:42 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I would think with eight bent pushrods there is a good chance of other damage. You could try backing off the rocker arms and doing a leakdown test to see if the valves are sealing properly. But to acurately check the guides and valves I would pull the heads. Is there a chance the timing chain is off?
Old 03-26-2002, 04:48 PM

[quote]Originally posted by wrenchturner:
<strong>i have rebuilt 350 chev.valves out of adjustment on fresh start up.i bent 8 pushrods only ran for about 3-4 minutes then i shut it down.never had this problem before i dont know where i goofed up.in a hurry trying to battle the weather elements.i replaced the bent rods now it trys to start but dont now i suspect i bent the valves if i did i was wondering if i can replace them or did it mess the guides up or something else up da help</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 03-26-2002, 04:58 PM

did you bend 8 random pushrod ?? ,or all8 intake ,or all 8 exhaust ??..sounds to me like a cam mis-time problem ..there is a formula for setting valves cold ,with engine off .i have used it several times ,and it works great , no oil spray ,no oil stink on manifolds etc , if you have access to an older 80's/ 70's MOTORS manual ,it tells you how . if you can't find one locally ,i can research /recite the procedure ,but my book is at our car club shop ,but i'll have it in a few days ,if you' not in a hurry ..other advise is good ,back off the valves ,do a compression ,or leak down test ,if you have little ,or no ,or low compression ,i'm afraid you are in for a tear-down ..sorry for your luck ..jim p ..
Old 03-26-2002, 05:57 PM

Maybe you put the ditributor in wrong when you put it back together?

If the rods bent because the rockers were too tight, you probably lost a good bit of cam lobe. Check the distributor and if it's not that, tear it down again and check the cam out.

Don't worry, you're not the first guy to have to do it over again...
Old 03-26-2002, 06:17 PM

Thanks to all whom replied. thats what I was afraid to hear. Im jumping in to the tear down tomorrow 3-27 Ive got a couple days weather permitting. By the way Ive bored this motor 30 over flat tops,480 lift,305 heads blended to match the 350 bore,matched intakes,port&polished them Its for 79 malibu curious to see the outcome. Not sure which push rods.done had them out before I realized it. PS.it stinks not having a garage thanks again
Old 03-26-2002, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

I've seen a lot of guys, including myself once or twice, put in distributors wrong on the first shot (usually 180 out) and have yet to see it wipe out a set of pushrods. There may be a first time for everything, but I haven't seen that one yet. Good luck with the tear-down.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:45 PM

I've done it too, that's why I suggested it.

I thought he was asking why it wouldn't start since he put it back together. I was not suggesting that it bent the pushrods.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for the misunderstanding reddwarf, I just didn't want him thinking his distributor being out caused the damage and maybe overlook something else. We try to write as clear as we can, but mistakes happen. I misinterpreted, sorry.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:38 PM

No problem

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.