Help with blind nut, steering box, volare front end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 02:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with blind nut, steering box, volare front end

Hey everyone,

I have a serious pain in the butt problem here. It's a 58 Chevy PU with a Volare front end. I was under the truck today and was doing the normal tugging on all the suspension parts to check for play... The steering box seemed loose, that explains the play I was noticing. So I started removing the 3 bolts that hold it in place. The plan was to clean all the bolts and nuts off with brake cleaner, then re-install them with loc-tite. The first 2 bolts came out fine and the third bolt well.... It looks like there are backing nuts on them and the weld broke loose. NO WAY TO GET TOO IT! I tried a pry bar behind the bolt to put pressure on the nut and air ratchet it off but no luck, tried for about an hour.

My only idea is to cut off the bolt head with a sawzall. push the old bolt through. Get a new nut, hold it in place and weld it from the front. If you have any ideas please let me know!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I take it you cant get in there to reweld the nut, then remove it.

Looks like your solution is just about the only way.
xxllmm4 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

In the acess hole you ran the prybar through try tack in the nut with a stick welder have a friend close by to remove the bolt with air tool BEFORE it cools,if allowed to cool it will never come out,,after everything cools run a thread chacer Not a tap thru the nut ,a tap will remove metal ,then it might not stay tight .
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
xxllmm4 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
It's hard to say without seeing it, but this is a fix I have used many times. You drill a hole next to the bolt and weld the nut thru that hole to the metal. This is much easier said than done and is often impossible but it has worked like a charm many times for me.

If it has screwed out some you can leave the other bolts that hold the steering box in place there very loose and using a screw driver or something like that wedge it between the box and the frame pushing the boxes flange away from the frame to gain clearance to drill the hole.

This is all on the news that you can't get behind it any other way of course. Because if you can then you just cut the head of the bolt off, remove the box or at least get it out of the way and you put a new nut in there on a bolt and thru a hole drilled next to the hole for the bolt you weld the nut in there.

But if you can't get to the back side and you have to go with welding the nut to the frame use the technique described in the following "Basics" and you can often get the bolt out of an other wise impossible to get out nut. "Basics of Basics" Rusted bolt removal

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
xxllmm4 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Another approach if you can't get inside, would be to cut the bolt off, then drill the hole larger, and all the way through the frame rail, weld in a sleeve (piece of pipe large enough for the bolt to pass through), then use a bolt long enough to go through the frame and the steering box mounting. The sleeve is to keep from bending in the sides of the frame rail.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Can you drill a hole from the other side and get in there with a socket?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Do You have a Caterpillar dealer near you. If you do cut the head off the bolt and take both pieces to your Cat dealer and buy a bolt the same size as the one you took out and buy what Cat calls a self swedging nut. You may have to drill the hole in the frame out so it fits the new nut. Then put it together with a large flat washer on the outside and tighten it up. Works just like a nutsert. When you get it tight it will swedge in place and you can unscrew the bolt and remount your steering box. Two dollars and some change and it is a fixed forever. and I really don't think you can find stronger bolts and nuts than what comes from the Cat house. hope this helps Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironpony For This Useful Post:
xxllmm4 (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help! I ended up cutting off the bolt with a sawzall. Two blades later It was cut through. Not as bad as I figured, It was tight but I could use the frame for leverage on the blade. The inner cavity where the nut was, is very tight so I ended up pushing the steering box out of the way and drilling a hole through the top to get access to the cavity. I'll weld a nut in place tomorrow then re weld the hole. The hole looks like its in a fairly structural area but should weld up pretty easy.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.