Help bodywork after primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help bodywork after primer?

Hello I have a coat of epoxy primer and Nason's 2k urethane high build primer on and may need to add some more evercoat filler to straighten out some panels. So how do I go about reapplying more filler?

- Can I apply the filler over the nason 2k urethane primer and then shoot that primer back over it when finished? or

-Do I need to sand down to the epoxy primer and apply the filler on top of the epoxy primer? or

-Do I need to sand all the primer off and start on from the my last coat of filler?

thanks guys!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

You can abrade primer with some 80 grit and apply skim coat polyester glazing putty. Just to straighten out panel. I would use some guide coat also to see your lows/highs.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonA.
Hello I have a coat of epoxy primer and Nason's 2k urethane high build primer on and may need to add some more evercoat filler to straighten out some panels. So how do I go about reapplying more filler?

- Can I apply the filler over the nason 2k urethane primer and then shoot that primer back over it when finished? or
-Do I need to sand down to the epoxy primer and apply the filler on top of the epoxy primer? or
-Do I need to sand all the primer off and start on from the my last coat of filler?
thanks guys!!

You can sand the Nason and then apply the filler over the Nason..Then put the Nason over the filler..
Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 PM

So if I am understanding correctly just sand the 2k Nason high build primer and put evercoat over all the layers of primer and spray a coat of 2k high build primer on top to level it out... I think I got it thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 AM

Last photo:

Well when I was learning, I was taught you could apply filler over epoxy or metal, but over a urethane 2k or paint you should use one of the finishing fillers and only in moderation, and that regular filler would not adhere and feather properly and reducer in the primer you applyed over it could get under the edge.
I don't know what kind of differences there really is in the makeup of a regular filler and a finishing filler, other then resin content and the finishing filler spreading smoother and sanding fairly easy. The finishing filler often runs more for a quart then a gallon of filler. There are so many different fillers out there, and they may have variations in recommendation on how they should be used.
But that said, I've applied some regular bodyfiller over roughed up 2k urethane before with no apparent problems, and believe I did apply a thin coat of filler over some areas like that on an old car that I kept 6 years. I still wouldn't be comfortable applying filler over paint, other then maybe to fill something like a stone chip.
I believe that body fillers have advanced and have better adhesion then years ago. Years ago, it was recommended to apply fillers over bare metal ground course with 36 grit. Then many started recommending applying epoxy primer first and then applying filler.
Today it seems that most filler will stick just fine to a 80 grit sandscratch.
If in doubt, talk to your filler manufacturer and see what they have to say. I wouldn't sweat it so much applying over your urethane if you rough it up well with something like 80 grit first, and don't need to lay it on really thick.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.