Help with bondo / bodywork please =) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2002, 07:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Help with bondo / bodywork please =)

It's Jason again and I'm slowing working on that 89 Grand Prix.

The hood had a 2" x 8" rust hole that I fixed with fiberglass and two small dents I filled with bondo. I sanded the fiberglass on the hood down fairly even with the rest of the hood but it is still raised because it lays on top of the hood and inside the hole.... if I sand the fiberglass entirely flush with the hood, so that the fiberglass is only inside the hole, will the fiberglass stay solid or simply fall out?

The passenger side is giving me some problems. After pulling the larger dent on the quarter, I pulled the body line out and it will not pound back in for anything, so what should I do? I figured I would simply pull the body line out of the driver side quarter as well and it would give it a uniform look.

Now, as for sanding. I've been using a sanding block with 220 grit to smooth the bondo on a dent I fixed near the trunk. The bondo is about 4" x 4" and it is very smooth but it just doesn't seem to be forming to the body. Any tips?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Best tip that I can give is just to take your time and have patience...Don't pull the body line out to match. Work at it and you will get it to go back in. You may have to use some heat to persuade it. Also, if you start to get frustrated and mad just walk away from it and come back another time. The best teacher you have is yourself.
You don't want to use a sanding block on a very big area, you'll want to get a boardfile. After you get the bondo sanded to match the body you are going to need some spot filler or feather coat, it's used to smooth the bondo-to-body edge. You will also need some primer. What ever color primer you use on the car buy another color for the guide coat. Prime the area then spray on a light coat of guidecoat on top of your primer, then sand lightly to find your high/low spots.
As far as the hood goes, I would either weld in a patch or hunt the yards for another hood.GP's are fairly common cars, you should be able to find a hood for next to nothing.
Later,
WEIMER

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Weimer ]</p>
Old 12-04-2002, 05:06 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

Takes a hole lot of work to get a hood right. Better off Shopping the yards for a replacement thats right to begin with. Good luck on the body lines, try and find someone local who will help you. I make all kinds of contacts at the cruise's. Swap off work with each other.

Todd
Old 12-04-2002, 07:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Sanding the bondo with 220 grit is going to take a very long time, use a coarser grit, 60-80 for the shaping, 120 for finer feathering. to keep the body lines, you probably aren't filling a large enough area, also try sanding down to the body line, in other words, split the area into 2 sections to get it roughed in. get the shape roughed in first, the fine sanding will work out easier after that is done. the fiberglass on the hood probably isn't a real good idea, there's too much heat in that area. try a sheet metal patch, put the metal in from the bottom side, drill and rivet, dimple the rivets slightly to fill in with bodo. crude but effective, it works for getting the job done. paint the underside of the patch to keep it less noticeable.
did you pull the dennt by drilling and a slidehammer? probably one of the worse ways there are to pull dents, dents should be pushed out and worked with a hammer and dolly, never beaten out and pulling is a last resort. metal has a memory, with a little heat, the right tools and a whole lot of experience you can get the job done. don't give it up, practice on what you have, there's lots of help here on the board. Dan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.