Help!Brake pedal goes to the floor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM

Last journal entry: 454
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help!Brake pedal goes to the floor

Hi all,I need some help with my brakes.The other day I decided to look at the pads and see how much life was left on them.Not much so I decided to change all of them.Front and back.Well I changed them and for the life of me I cant get the pedal to come back up and give me a good feel.When I pump the brakes with the car off the pedal gets hard.Start the car up and hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor.And the car barely brakes.And I get a HISS sound the minute I touch the pedal.I have bleed the brakes with a friend and the pedal feels o.k.The minute we start the car up there goes the brakes to the floor again and with a bad hiss.I think that it's the power booster but would like to hear if anyone agrees.The car is a 77 Buick skylark.Please help my brakes suck and I cant drive my freshly built 350!

Advertisement

Last edited by babygene41042; 11-18-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
CRASH TEST DUMMY !!!!!!

Last photo:

my guess would be the master cyl.....unless you pulled the vacuum hose off the booster and have no vacuum...
you can test the booster with a mighty vac....should hold vacuum
Old 11-18-2005, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

I took the booster off and cleaned it and checked the diaphragm.It was fine.I then hooked it up to the vacuum on the car without installing it just to see what it would do.I started the car and it pulled the pedal lever in.Then I pumped the lever to act as if I was pumping the brake.It seemed to lose pressure and it didn't pull the lever back in.Does that mean it has a leak?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Let me think..... mmmmmmmmm..

1) It worked.....

2) You took it apart....

3) Now it doesn't work........

mmmmmmmmm????????

I give....
Old 11-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

I had Simular problem with 2 vehicles

I had problems with my 95 Bommeville and 74 Firebird a fews years ago. The pedal would pretty much go to the floor with little braking power on the Bonnie. First of all check the inlet for your vacuum on the motor. I had this plug up on my 74 Firebird and I had no vacuum and little braking power. Cleaned it and braking was back. Have the master cylinder checked. Sounds to me like the fluid is getting past the rod that applies the pressure and this will cause the pedal to go to the floor with little braking power. Check the hose or replace it this could be a contributing factor too. Well I hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Is the fluid going down, maybe you broke a brake hose. If your not loosing fluid you may have damaged the master cylinder if you didnt open the bleeders before compressing the cylinders, this is a common mistake most back yard mechanics make, assuming you have disks on the front. The pedal will always be hard with the engine off once the vacuum resevoir is depleted. If you dont have a leak try adjusting the rears, perhaps they are too loose. Are you sure you got the correct replacement parts and the rears are assembled correctly. There is a lot of room for mistakes on rear brakes. If you had any of the cylinders disconnected or open, you will need to bleed the brakes to get the air out of the lines. I would guess your booster is working since the pedal ets easy to push once the engine is running. You need to go back to basics, check for leaks first, try to determine if its the fronts or backs giving you the issue, then locate the problem.

Brakes are nothing to mess arround with, if you dont know what you are doing, find someone who does, it could mean your life !!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

xntrik what are you talking about?I said I had the problem before I removed the booster?And yes I completely removed the calipers before I compressed them back in.I've had this hiss sound for sometime now.I'm going to replace both the booster and the master cylinder.If it's not to expensive.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygene41042
xntrik what are you talking about?I said I had the problem before I removed the booster?And yes I completely removed the calipers before I compressed them back in.I've had this hiss sound for sometime now.I'm going to replace both the booster and the master cylinder.If it's not to expensive.
I apologize for misunderstanding.

I re-read your original post and I didn't understand that you had this identical problem before you installed the new pads...

A bad booster will NOT make the pedal go to the floor.

Last edited by xntrik; 11-23-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all your help guys.I went today and changed the booster and the master cylinder and the car stops great!And does not make any noise or hiss!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.