HELP cam, intake, carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

HELP cam, intake, carb

i am going to buy a new cam intake and carb. if you put a dial indicator on top of the vavle spring then turn the engine that should give you the vavle lift right. when i did this my cam came up with .350 on intake and exaust.
i thought i had a bigger cam than (motor was in car when bought) that because at idle i have about 13 hg vacum. when i took the cam out the only marks are CWC and 1211 t1 stamped on the end so i don't know what it is.

chevy 355
4.030 bore 3.48 stroke
flat top pistons 2 vavle reliefs a little less that 10-1 i don't know how many cc the two vavle reliefs in the piston.
chevy turbo 292 heads 2.02 1.60 angle plug

the cam i was looking at was the comp Xtreme Energy™ cam 284H and 294H http://www.compcams.com/Technical/DynoSheets/. i am going to use the Rhoads lifters to gain back some low end. will i have clearence issues with these cams. there is .036 between the top piston to deck. i am going to drive it on the street but am going to the track and thats more where i am leaning. If you have a better suggeston for cam let me know.

i can't decide what intake to use. a friend swears by the victor Jr and i was wanting a rpm air gap because it matches the rpm range better. what would you suggest.

for a carb i was thinking a mighty demon 750 mechincal. note would like to go to a 383 or 400 some day if you where think 750 is to big. thanks for your suggestins

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Need more info

What gearing are you running? What transmission? Has there been any head work done on the engine? What is your compression ratio? First off, if you are running an automatic, dont go with a double pumper, stay with a vacuum secondary.
I would opt for a milder cam, something in the 220-230 degree at @ .050" lift, as this is about as much as stock heads can handle reliably. Going any bigger will require porting etc, to utilize the cam. Going with too big a cam is worse than running too small of one. With a larger cam, about the time you get into the cams working range, you will run out of breathing with the heads. A big time loss of power all the way around.
Another consideration is what kind of driving are you doing with this vehcle.
If its a daily driver, even a 230 degree cam could cause some driveablity issues, in stop and go traffic.
And would run a 600 CFM carb if this is a daily driver. As for intake, an Edelbrock Performer RPM, or Weiand Stealth would be the way to go. Running a cam with a 110 lobe separation or wider, will help your vacuum. I wouldnt bother going with the Rhoads lifters.
As an after thought, if you are only running 13 inches of vacuum with the stock cam, a good valve job may be in order, or start checking for vacuum leaks.

Last edited by Max Keith; 06-29-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 PM

right now i have 3.08 gearing but will put some 3.73 in later. i have a automatic turbo 350. it looks like the heads have been gasket matched. the compression is 10 to 1 minus the 2 vavle reliefs in the piston so maybe 9.5 to 9.7 to 1? i have a 750 double pump now and like it. the heads aren't stockers they are the first after market heads chevy made not to much info on them. i mostly want to set it to go down the track.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Hey dude,
I am running the XE284 in my 355. I have 461 double hump heads, flat top pistons, victor jr. intake, and a 650 double pumper. To make a long story short, this combo really sucks bad. The victor jr. only really starts to work at about 3000 rpm so you have to run a huge stall converter, not very street friendly. Off the line this combo is a real dog. Granted above 3000 rpm it screams, but it takes forever to get there(i've got 3.08's also). I am currently putting in an XE268, performer rpm intake, and 3.90 gears. Also, you'll have to run a vac cannister with this cam or it will never idle right. I'm not sure how many builds you've done or what your experience level is but I took some bad advise for my first build and used a lumpy cam because I wanted that cool sound when my heads would no where near support that kind of lift. Something in the 200 cc runner range would really let the cam breathe. My 461's maybe would do 170 on a good day! Don't make the same mistake I did with too small of heads, you will not be happy.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I agree with sam83. That is some good advice. I would either go with the xe268h or the xe274h cam along with the RPM air gap intake you are looking at, and a 650 carb. I had a 355 with the xe268h, regular RPM, and a 650 carb with Vortec heads and it screamed from around 2000 RPM to around 5500-6000 RPM. It was a great motor. by the way, Vortecs are also a 170cc runner. Also, keep in mind that with a larger cam, you will probably also need different valve springs.

Adam
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

if the heads are the 292 turbo casting running out of air flow from the heads is unlikely, these are very good heads, in fact darts iron eagles are copied off of them according to a circle track article with the developer of the dart heads.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:09 PM

the heads are the 292 chevy turbo head that you would buy over the counter at a dealer. hey barnym17 where did you read this article at. there is not very much info out there about these heads.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

I actually run a set of these on my dirt street stock,the article I was referring to was in a circle track or stock car.It was written just when the Iron eagles first appeared, the designer of the darts called them the best 23 degree head chevy ever made bar none, they were the original over the counter prostock and nascar head, Grumpy Jenkins in his book on small block chevies altho dated now reported 550 to 600 horse potential with minor mods and nasar mushroom cam circa 1976 with a single 4 bbl carb and intakes of the time.In prostock form the 331 cid smallblocks were hitting 700 horse which aint to bad. keep in mind this book was written in the 70's so modern intakes, and cams should certainly help,my 406 with cheapo claimer solid cam has no problems out running dart headed roller motors in fact the one guy we havent got yet is a buddy running a dart headed 421 roller motor custom roller cam all the goodies, I would not trade my 292's for darts however the one draw back is they are prone to cracking just like any stock head but not really that big a deal just make sure cooling system is good to go. best advice I can give is by grumpys book read it then read it again,lots of good info . hope this helps
Old 07-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

forgot something dart, afr,canfield etc. have never won Daytona to my Knowledge ,292's have.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

More duration will and make an engine with a poor flowing head flow more air. You will loose some bottom end with more duration because of pressure losses at lower RPMs. Higher static compression can bring back this low RPM pressure.

I run a 234o duration with a 114o lobe sep. It is super streetable. Of course, I have 11:1 and 400 cubic inches to help a little.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.