Help With Carbs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Help With Carbs

Hey can you guys help me with Carbs, I am looking for a Carb for my 350 and I am most likely going with an Edelbrock 750CFM (there performer series carb). I just learned that CFM is Cubic Feet Per Minute but what exactly does this mean, how much cubic feet is following per minute? Also can some give me what Horsepower ratings I should use with what CFM (I chose 750 from my other thread someone suggested that).
(I am planning around 450 hp to 500 Hp)

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM
fast68's Avatar
likes chevy trucks & boobies
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 1,970
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
750 is the maximum rated flow

cubic feet per minute yes

Q jets are 800 and 850 cfm

edelbrocks you can get in many sizes, holleys and others too


preferably you will want vacuum secondaries for a street driven vehicle,

you will want to properly jet and set up the carb for the engine it is going on

the parts they put in these carbs are pretty general

it may be too rich or lean for what you need, quite possibly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
750 is the maximum rated flow

cubic feet per minute yes

Q jets are 800 and 850 cfm

edelbrocks you can get in many sizes, holleys and others too


preferably you will want vacuum secondaries for a street driven vehicle,

you will want to properly jet and set up the carb for the engine it is going on

the parts they put in these carbs are pretty general

it may be too rich or lean for what you need, quite possibly
Alright I found a vacuum secondary Carb
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80508S/10002/-1
Hows that one to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 191
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'd probably go with a 600 cfm carb first. Unless it is really built for it a 600 would be a better bet. There are carb size calculators online, but I don't know how much stock to put in them. The last one I tried said my caddy 472 needed a 635 cfm carb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
I'd probably go with a 600 cfm carb first. Unless it is really built for it a 600 would be a better bet. There are carb size calculators online, but I don't know how much stock to put in them. The last one I tried said my caddy 472 needed a 635 cfm carb.
I tired one and I couldn't list horsepower at all, I said I need a 6 hundred and something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 191
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just re read your first post and that horsepower number is certainly possible, but would probably have to be a very high revving motor. If you were going for that you might even need a bigger carb. If it was a race only motor, or mostly race I think it would be ok. But I don't know if it would be very street friendly. Easiest way to reach your horsepower goals would be with some sort of power adder like turbocharging, supercharging, or nitrous oxide. And those would effect what carb size you choose and how you build the motor. It all works together. For example right now the compression on my caddy is I think 10 or 10.5 to 1. I would have to change heads or pistons to lower the compression if I wanted to run a supercharger. Same if I wanted to run a turbo, and then I would have to run a carb designed/built for a turbo.

Having said all that, if it is a mostly street motor I would probably go with a 600 cfm holley. Or a quadrajet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
Just re read your first post and that horsepower number is certainly possible, but would probably have to be a very high revving motor. If you were going for that you might even need a bigger carb. If it was a race only motor, or mostly race I think it would be ok. But I don't know if it would be very street friendly. Easiest way to reach your horsepower goals would be with some sort of power adder like turbocharging, supercharging, or nitrous oxide. And those would effect what carb size you choose and how you build the motor. It all works together. For example right now the compression on my caddy is I think 10 or 10.5 to 1. I would have to change heads or pistons to lower the compression if I wanted to run a supercharger. Same if I wanted to run a turbo, and then I would have to run a carb designed/built for a turbo.

Having said all that, if it is a mostly street motor I would probably go with a 600 cfm holley. Or a quadrajet.
Ill look at the 600 CFM carb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PA
Age: 71
Posts: 367
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
750 is the maximum rated flow

cubic feet per minute yes

Q jets are 800 and 850 cfm

edelbrocks you can get in many sizes, holleys and others too


preferably you will want vacuum secondaries for a street driven vehicle,

you will want to properly jet and set up the carb for the engine it is going on

the parts they put in these carbs are pretty general

it may be too rich or lean for what you need, quite possibly
There are no factory stock 850 cfm Q-Jets! Only 750, 800 cfm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CARBS How big ??? mrobby440 Engine 6 01-11-2007 02:01 PM
409 carbs tucker1 Engine 1 05-27-2006 09:56 PM
carbs 82c10 Engine 1 07-05-2005 10:36 PM
Holley Carbs VS. Edelbrock Carbs. KeithB123 Engine 3 01-12-2004 10:42 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.