Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - ? help with Chevy 350 build ?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bare in mind that the setup needs to match. That is heads, compression, exhaust, cam, intake, carb, gears, and stall.

Are you prepared to go through that expense and major changes to the car? If you build the engine up and go with 4.11 gears and 3000+ stall it will have major effects as a the daily driver. Just to let you know what you are getting into.

A mini blower or N02 is a good option if you want to keep your current setup and just add more hp and torque.

It seems that you already have a good set of heads and intake manifold. However, the compression is a little low. So pistons, new gaskets, cam, valve springs, stall, bigger carb, headers, and gear change would be required if you want to make power with a bigger cam. The cost adds up quickly.

You don't need forged pistons on the street, in fact, I don't recommend them. You can make plenty of power with a good set of cast pistons (hypers). Forged pistons rattle around in the bores when cold which makes them noisy and causes wear.

I'm liking the mini blower idea with a cam change. Run 7 or 8 psi of boost and use a msd boost retard with a mild blower cam. I thinking 475 hp and 525ftlbs of torque. And you can run a 3.08 gear and stock stall if you want to keep the daily driver setup. I would invest in a limited slip center section.

I bet you can find a used mini blower for 1500.00 complete with carb. This of course assumes your current engine is in good shape (good oil pressure, no smoke, ect). 1500 is cheap with you start adding up the cost for making power with a big cam.