Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - help with chevy roller cams, blocks....
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastz
my buddy is building a TPI 350, now he is stumped, the fac roller block is cracked in 4 places, and couldnt find another roller block so he has a TBI truck block, still tryn to go roller, ok we have found out the roller block lifter bores are .80 thousands lower than the flat tappet block, and nobody has the machines near by to do the machine work, it would be alrite if he was useing retro fit lifters but the kit for the TPI dont come with retro fit (from compcams) one of his friends seem to think grinding down the lifter guide plates would work? not me that dont sound convinseing, we did end up finding a guy to do the machine work in .Ga..... any ideas on this would be cool thanx..........
Does the TBI block he now wants to use have any bosses for the spider and the cam retainer/thrust plate? I'm guessing not- if it doesn't have the lifter bosses machined flat for the OEM dogbone lifter retainers...

If he wants to use the OEM roller cam set-up, I'd find another block instead of using a retro cam and lifters. Otherwise, if he doesn't care what kind of roller cam- retro or OEM- then it doesn't matter. But machining the lifter bosses just to use dogbones- and the block having no other capacity to use the OEM roller cam set-up wouldn't make much sense to me.

If he's considering grinding the lifter bosses himself, by hand- forget it.