help with chevy roller cams, blocks.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help with chevy roller cams, blocks....

my buddy is building a TPI 350, now he is stumped, the fac roller block is cracked in 4 places, and couldnt find another roller block so he has a TBI truck block, still tryn to go roller, ok we have found out the roller block lifter bores are .80 thousands lower than the flat tappet block, and nobody has the machines near by to do the machine work, it would be alrite if he was useing retro fit lifters but the kit for the TPI dont come with retro fit (from compcams) one of his friends seem to think grinding down the lifter guide plates would work? not me that dont sound convinseing, we did end up finding a guy to do the machine work in .Ga..... any ideas on this would be cool thanx..........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Have you looked for Vortec truck blocks?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastz
my buddy is building a TPI 350, now he is stumped, the fac roller block is cracked in 4 places, and couldnt find another roller block so he has a TBI truck block, still tryn to go roller, ok we have found out the roller block lifter bores are .80 thousands lower than the flat tappet block, and nobody has the machines near by to do the machine work, it would be alrite if he was useing retro fit lifters but the kit for the TPI dont come with retro fit (from compcams) one of his friends seem to think grinding down the lifter guide plates would work? not me that dont sound convinseing, we did end up finding a guy to do the machine work in .Ga..... any ideas on this would be cool thanx..........
Does the TBI block he now wants to use have any bosses for the spider and the cam retainer/thrust plate? I'm guessing not- if it doesn't have the lifter bosses machined flat for the OEM dogbone lifter retainers...

If he wants to use the OEM roller cam set-up, I'd find another block instead of using a retro cam and lifters. Otherwise, if he doesn't care what kind of roller cam- retro or OEM- then it doesn't matter. But machining the lifter bosses just to use dogbones- and the block having no other capacity to use the OEM roller cam set-up wouldn't make much sense to me.

If he's considering grinding the lifter bosses himself, by hand- forget it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
If it's a non-roller block, the center oil galley would have to be drilled and tapped for the spider also to run OEM roller stuff. I wouln't do it. Find a '96-'00 L31 5700 Vortec roller block.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

thanx guys ill let my buddy know what iv learned, fixin to wast money ant the way to go..........found a vortec block but new ?'s it has a crank sensor on the front, what do you do about that sensor?????

Last edited by gofastz; 04-21-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
thanx guys ill let my buddy know what iv learned, fixin to wast money ant the way to go..........found a vortec block but new ?'s it has a crank sensor on the front, what do you do about that sensor?????
Put it on the shelf in case someone needs one in the future. Use a double roller chain like Cloyes or equivalent. You may have to do a little grinding on the face of the block behind the cam sprocket for clearance. Then use a conventional stamped steel timing cover using all available bolt holes.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
...found a vortec block but new ?'s it has a crank sensor on the front, what do you do about that sensor?????
You have a few choices:

Remove the sensor and plug the hole.
Leave the sensor in place and forget about it.
Use cover p/n12552557 w/o the sensor hole in it.

Leave the reluctor wheel that fits on the crank snout in place. It keeps the shorter Vortec damper from being installed too far- which will cause sealing, crank timing gear and accessory pulley alignment problems. Only remove the reluctor if you want to use an earlier-type damper.

VORTEC DAMPER W/RELUCTOR ON LEFT
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

cool, yeah the block i found is a '99 L31 for $150, sounds like this TPI set up is a pain in the butt........
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

i talked to my buddy and told him what iv learned, and even found a roller block, he went back a told that guy that supose to be doing that machine work on that non-roller block, what i told him, he repliied BLANK the internet when i get done with this block its going to be right!!! i told (Scott) my buddy that i hope so for your sake $$$$, some plp just hardheaded!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.