Help with choosing heads for sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Help with choosing heads for sbc

I need help with choosing a set of heads for my 350. I have a goal of 375-425hp. Motor already has a set of 1.5 roller rockers, comp mutha thumpr cam, edelbrock rpm performer intake, msd hei dizzy, and a edelbrock 1406 carb. Trans is a 700r4 with a 2500rpm stall if that matters. The motor is from a 85 suburban. I would like a set of assembled heads as I dont know enough to try and get everything my self. I also dont know what cc chambers or runners to get. I know my goal is a little high wirh out getting into the motor but I still want to try for it. Thanks for the help.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cam specs I forgot
LCA is 107
Duration is 287 & 305
Valve lift is 489 & 476
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 8,874
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 306 Times in 286 Posts
instead of spending money on heads you REALLY need to replace that cam, absolutely terrible for that combo. You'd be better with a stock cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
Slammedsi (02-08-2013)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
instead of spending money on heads you REALLY need to replace that cam, absolutely terrible for that combo. You'd be better with a stock cam.
Yes, I know the cam is not best suited for this job but I have a some money to blow on heads right now. After I get done with heads the cam will be next..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
geezer69's Avatar
Die standin' up
 

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: princeton texas
Age: 62
Posts: 411
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
your goal is not a problem. you can do it purdy easy with iron heads. vortec or even the old double hump heads would work with some work. im sure theres a number of purdy cheap heads that will do it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Double post...

Last edited by Slammedsi; 02-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 8,874
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 306 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedsi View Post
Yes, I know the cam is not best suited for this job but I have a some money to blow on heads right now. After I get done with heads the cam will be next..
really, your power goals are very modest, a set of freshened vortecs will get you there, BUT they are nothing compared to a set of decent aftermarket heads. Your budget will dictate a lot of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
really, your power goals are very modest, a set of freshened vortecs will get you there, BUT they are nothing compared to a set of decent aftermarket heads. Your budget will dictate a lot of that.
Ive got 1, 100 set aside for a set of assemble heads. I would like a set of aluminum heads but quality irons would be fine too. I really dont want to have to have a machine shop do work to a set. Would much rather buy a ready set and slap them on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,780
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 249 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedsi View Post
Ive got 1, 100 set aside for a set of assemble heads. I would like a set of aluminum heads but quality irons would be fine too. I really dont want to have to have a machine shop do work to a set. Would much rather buy a ready set and slap them on.
Pro-Filer Performance Products
1054 plus shipping.....Google them, and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Edelbrock, dart, world products or brodix all make a good cheap aluminum head these days. 1500 you can have ypur pick. Profiler also look good but havent seen a set yet. If they are as good as the pix on the net they should run as good as any of them.

Cam should support your power goals and combo. They do like compression but power is not hard to come by with the thumpr cams. They are peaky and other cams can provide a wider power band but not a bad choice. If its in and working then use it. 1.6 rockers may help a little with your power goals if your springs will support it. With the bmt and good heads 500hp is normal with proper setup. 400 from the mid range mt should be very possible.

Procomps would probably the cheapest alum heads that would do the job. They are about 600 a set bolt on ready.

Vortecs could also do the job for even less. Under 500 a set for rebuild heads.

Shoot for atleast 9:1 compression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
Slammedsi (02-08-2013)
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Edelbrock, dart, world products or brodix all make a good cheap aluminum head these days. 1500 you can have ypur pick. Profiler also look good but havent seen a set yet. If they are as good as the pix on the net they should run as good as any of them.

Cam should support your power goals and combo. They do like compression but power is not hard to come by with the thumpr cams. They are peaky and other cams can provide a wider power band but not a bad choice. If its in and working then use it. 1.6 rockers may help a little with your power goals if your springs will support it. With the bmt and good heads 500hp is normal with proper setup. 400 from the mid range mt should be very possible.

Procomps would probably the cheapest alum heads that would do the job. They are about 600 a set bolt on ready.

Vortecs could also do the job for even less. Under 500 a set for rebuild heads.

Shoot for atleast 9:1 compression.
See thats where I get lost. I dont know enough about chamber and intake runner size. Do I go with a 64, 70,? Bigger? Haha I get way to lost. Also what does the chamber size do to the compresion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedsi View Post
See thats where I get lost. I dont know enough about chamber and intake runner size. Do I go with a 64, 70,? Bigger? Haha I get way to lost. Also what does the chamber size do to the compresion?
185-195 cc runners will support 400 hp. i would go for 195 but smaller is often better for street cars.

You can find compression ration calculators on the net. Do you know what type of pistons you have.

For a chevy 350 the std bore is 4.00 inches stroke is 3.48 inches head gasket is 4.1 bore and .041 compressed thickness. Rods a 5.7 inches.

Now the hard to find out info is the piston cc and the deck height. Deck hieght is how far down in the hole the pistons are at tdc.

Do you know what type of pistons you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
185-195 cc runners will support 400 hp. i would go for 195 but smaller is often better for street cars.

You can find compression ration calculators on the net. Do you know what type of pistons you have.

For a chevy 350 the std bore is 4.00 inches stroke is 3.48 inches head gasket is 4.1 bore and .041 compressed thickness. Rods a 5.7 inches.

Now the hard to find out info is the piston cc and the deck height. Deck hieght is how far down in the hole the pistons are at tdc.

Do you know what type of pistons you have?
Bottem end is bone stock from a 85 suburban . Im not sure what came stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedsi View Post
Bottem end is bone stock from a 85 suburban . Im not sure what came stock.
I dont have a clue. It could have flat tops or dish or the dreaded beveled flat top dish pistons.

Pistons, rings and rod bearings and rod bolts would not be a bad idea if you got a few extra bucks. Depending on how many miles are on it. Rod bolts really strength up the bottom end if you plan to abuse it they are cheap insurance. Flat tops are usally cheapest and will let you get into the correct compression ratio for the cam to really make the engine pop off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 286
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 129
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
185-195 cc runners will support 400 hp. i would go for 195 but smaller is often better for street cars.

You can find compression ration calculators on the net. Do you know what type of pistons you have.

For a chevy 350 the std bore is 4.00 inches stroke is 3.48 inches head gasket is 4.1 bore and .041 compressed thickness. Rods a 5.7 inches.

Now the hard to find out info is the piston cc and the deck height. Deck hieght is how far down in the hole the pistons are at tdc.

Do you know what type of pistons you have?
Bottem end is bone stock from a 85 suburban . Im not sure what came stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with choosing heads chevyman43091 Engine 1 06-13-2010 05:09 PM
Need help choosing heads. chevydragster83 Engine 23 04-16-2010 10:50 PM
Need Help Choosing Heads DMAYS@TRIAD.RR.COM Engine 6 01-22-2007 06:54 PM
Need Help Choosing Heads DMAYS@TRIAD.RR.COM Engine 1 11-26-2006 06:54 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.