help choosing a sbc twin turbo kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a twin turbo SBC kit
Wiki Edits: 1

help choosing a sbc twin turbo kit

This is my first post so go easy on me, I have a 78 camaro w/355, turbo 350,, it has all forged internals, steel crank, 2.02 heads with roller rockers, 8.5:1 compression ratio. I would really like to put one of the kits below in the camaro does anyone know if they are good kits or just a joke, i would also like to know if there is anything that i need but the kits do not have. I have a holley 750 carb mounted on a edelbrock performer rpm intake would those need to be upgraded too. My goal is to have 475+ hp & 430+ ft lbs I believe that it would be easy to achieve with just 6 or 7 psi on each turbo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...1%7C240%3A1318

I think I like the second kit more, but I am sort of a beginner with turbos. I also plan to switch to a 700r4 and 3.55 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You may want to check out http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php They have section dedicated just to Turbo kit Reviews. From what I have read about most of the Ebay kits... The customer opens the box and is happy all the parts are there and give positive feedback. When they go to install it there are quite often problems with parts fitting, like exhaust manifolds being WAY off. They finally get them installed and are Happy again. 2-3 times after running them the welds start breaking. After 5-6 times of running them the turbos are shot.

A few months ago I was looking into the ebay kits so I started emailing the people who gave feedback on the kits, I couldn't find one person who had actually installed it. I did run across one person on a message board who bought one and has had it installed for a year and has been happy with it but make sure and do your research before you plunk down the cash.

Last edited by xxllmm4; 11-26-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 PM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Welcome, I know there has been a few of these ebey turbo kits run through here. I remember reading that the kits were ok, but people didn't like the cheaper turbos. The second kit sure does look pretty though.

Also I think you have posted your question in the wiki. Didn't know if you wanted to or not. If its a goof, im sure a moderator will find it soon to delete it if you didn't want it there.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Buick Hybrid Guy.

Last photo:

Hello...

The turbo world is fun... Been hooked since I played with a boosted car 15yrs ago. I was a Small block/Nitrous guy.. but the boost just over took me.

I don't think the E-bay turbos are a good product. That intercooler is terrible. I would not even use that on a 4cyl.

You'd be much better off paying to have a single setup made from scratch.

If this is going to be a street car you'd be better off going EFI. At WOT a

well tuned carb vs EFI is a toss up. But on the street for drivabilty and MPG

EFI is so much better.

The 4-500hp level is easy to get to with a turbo sbc. Going twins is much more work and expense. You'll be better off in the long run with a well built single setup and intercooled.

I do custom setups for a living.
If your interested in info or pic's of stuff I've done let me know be glad to help.
~Scott
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM

single turbo setup

I am very interested in a single turbo set up if that would be more practical I would greatly appreciate a rouggh list of parts and prices t oachive this setup. I would like to go fuel injection but its not really in my budget right now. But i would like to know what size carb to use, what to do about timing ( i have an msd hei dist. and a msd 6al controller), is my edlbrock performer rpm intake good enough? My heads are cast iron 2.02 with 1.5 roller roakcers and a very fresh valve job, the rods and pistons are forged and i have a steel crank, it is a 4 bolt main. What must be done to my exhaust system now it is all 2.5 in with 2.5 in flowmaster 40 ( maybe a STUPID QUESTION how do you route the dual exhaust to run a single turbo, do you have to put a Y- pipe in somewhere, or can the turbo feed off of one side of the exhaust I am new in the turbo world so please cut me some slack) thank you
Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Buick Hybrid Guy.

Last photo:

I think a single setup makes things much easier.

Block and heads sound fine. I'd get a camshaft that's designed for a turbo setup.

A single plane intake might be a better choice for forced induction. Just a VictorJR would be fine. Get the carb re-worked for boost or purchase one that is built for it.

When the exhaust comes out of the single down pipe 3.5" down pipe would be fine... You'll need to split it under the car to get to your existing 2.5" exhaust. (Y pipe down there works fine.)

Forward facing headers to a comon flange.

You'll want to plan on a front mount Intercooler as well. 3" pipe from turbo to IC and then to the blow through hat on top of the carb.

You'll also need a wideband O2 sensor and 2 1/16 gauge in the pillar to tune the car/watch AFR's at all times.

You'll need a plug and play 6BTM (boost Timing Retard) so when it senses boost it'll retard the timing per lb of boost.

THere's alot of other things required for this setup but that's the main points.
~Scott
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I have heard of people using the rpm intake in a blowthrough setup without problems if you machine the middle divider about an inch. Since this is your first setup I wouldn't install an intercooler. The fuel atomizing in the carb will cool the air very well and makes it very simple.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM

I have always heard that running a turbo without an intercooler is suicide for your motor?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

If your using efi and no intercooler your intake temps can get high but you can tune around it and limit your boost. The carb in a blowthrough setup is the intercooler. The atomizing fuel draws the heat out of the air so to speak. It doesnt work as well in an efi setup because most injectors are at the bottom of the intake and dont give enough time for this to happen. If this is a street car an air to air works well as long as you dont get stuck in traffic. Sitting at idle for a long time will heat soak the intercooler and wont be anymore efficient till your moving again. If you tune your car on the edge when your IATs get high from the heat soaked IC you can detonate very badly and your motor can sustain damage. So you dont need one but you can also look into a meth inj system. Since this is your first build its best to keep it simple.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 PM

Actaully if your going to do a "from scratch" setup going to twins really isn't that much more. Last time I built a setup for a friend i fabbed up the turbo headers from sections of schedule 80 pipe and weld els with a piece of 1/4 inch for the flange. I only did the fab work and none of the tuning. That was a little over my head at the time. Worked great for a couple of years until he played chicken with a tree and lost. Watch ebay for the turbos. Alot of Holsets of off Cummins diesels are on there from time to time. I was told they work great for small blocks. Downside of that is it is damn near impossible to get a compressor map for them so it is really hard to verify by math.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.