Help with Cloyes 2 piece timing cover - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with Cloyes 2 piece timing cover

I had cam walk on my solid roller cam SBC. I had an aluminum button and a decent cloyes one piece cover.

I figured I'd try a two piece adjustable Cloyes unit instead. I am trying to finish installing it now and running into issues. The main piece is on. I have the adjustable button all the way out, away from the cam and towards the cover.

Normally once the 2nd piece is installed, you screw in the button until contact and then back out 1/3rd turn and lock her down.

My issue is once I tighten down the 2nd piece, the button is tight and will not screw in at all. Zero lash. The cover is not bowing out that I can tell.

Cam is a Lunati VooDoo 60133 if that matters. Will a zero lash condition hurt since it's a roller button? I'm guessing yes. Should I double up the timing cover gaskets to see if that helps? Or cut a round gasket for the 3nd piece to make some space? Or should I try filing down the button a tad?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

I have the same cover on my solid roller 350 too. My instructions said install at zero lash and when the engine is warm you get clearance.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Thanks, I re-read the instructions and they state to crank it in to zero lash and then back out 1/3rd turn. No mention of temperature, although it would make sense to account for it and adjust when warm.

I ended up taking the roller button off and grinding down the adaptor plate. Then re-installed the button. Did that a few times until I had taken off enough to make adjustments. I have it at 1/3 turn out cold right now. I should have her back together tomorrow morning. I'll double check lash when warm. There is just enough room behind the water pump to get a 90* screwdriver in.

Just seemed odd that cam lengths could be so different as to need grinding.

It's been a real PITA project. Not being a SBC guy, I didn't realize you had to lower the oil pan to change the cover. Even though I put the darn thing together... Old cover popped right out. To get the new one in, I had to take out the front mounts and raise the engine to loosen the pan enough. Since it's a transplant engine I only have about 1/8" between the bottom of the custom oil pan and my lower cross brace.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

I just dug out my instructions and looked them up on cloyes website and it says.

"The camshaft endplay is now set to “Zero” lash. Due to the higher thermal
expansion rate of the aluminum timing cover compared to the steel cam button assembly, there will be a small amount of endplay with the engine warmed up.|
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Odd my instructions in the box do not match the online instructions. I'm going to try the zero lash setting tomorrow. Luckily I can reach the adjustment under the electric water pump with out taking anything off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.