Help Color Sanding Please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help Color Sanding Please

OK... I have finished painting the '32. And although the clear went on what I thought was pretty good, I am having some trouble getting the little bit of orange peel out of it. I am wet sanding with a spray bottle with a few drops of dish soap, a soft block wrapped in 2000 grit.

I am knocking the peaks of the orange peel and then trying to follow up with 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound on a Wool Pad followed by Perfect-It Machine Polish on a Foam Pad followed by Perfect-It Ultra Fine Machine Polish on a soft foam pad. But when I am done I still have some orange peel. I even tried sanding again and getting close to the base of the valleys, but still had orange peel when done. What am I doing wrong.

Should I be sanding the clear completely flat (all the way to the valleys) before polishing or am I not pushing hard enough on the first pass of polish.

I am just deathly afraid of burning through to the BC. I have 3 coats of clear on it, but I am terrified of ruining all my hard work.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

I added a couple of photos. It is really hard to see the orange peel in the photos. But I promise you would see it in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5349s.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	39812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5357ss.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	39813  
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Last photo:

It's impossible for me to tell how much clear you have sprayed on. If you feel you have on enough, say four good coats I would go ahead and remove all orange peel. Orange peel is virtually impossible to remove by buffing IMHO, especially if the clear is PPG DCU2002.

Vince
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Hit it with 1200 to get it flat, 1500,2000,3000,4000 (if ya want to go that far)
Then buff!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

So I guess it needs to be flat before I buff. I really hope I don't go through to the BC. But I guess if I do, I will have a nice flat surface to repaint.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Get a 3M squeegee or a towel and dry the surface every so often as you sand, look for the shiny pits to almost disappear, then step to the next finer grade. Use the 1200 grit and a rigid enough backing to cut the orange peel and then work the finer grades to get it slick. I've used cut down stir sticks, aluminum blocks and several other items in places where a regular sanding block wouldn't fit. By the time you hit 3000 grit, you should be feeling really good about it. Work it a panel at a time. Once you have the car color sanded, then polish it. The polishing should go really quick if you color sanded thoroughly.
Good luck,
Chip.

The shiny pits you see as you color sand are the minimum thickness of clear you have. Once all those are gone, go no coarser than 2000 grit.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

You need a hard block for flattening, and 2000 is really too fine to cut flat much of anything. Start courser and step down in grits till you reach your 2000 before buffing.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
You need a hard block for flattening, and 2000 is really too fine to cut flat much of anything. Start courser and step down in grits till you reach your 2000 before buffing.
Yep... Actually I am thinking about using 500 on a long block until flat and then shooting two more coats of clear. Then I will see if I need to color sand again.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markha
Yep... Actually I am thinking about using 500 on a long block until flat and then shooting two more coats of clear. Then I will see if I need to color sand again.
Then you would know for sure you have enough clear.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markha
If you feel confident enough about your ability to shoot the clear you can over reduce it by about 2%, crank up the air a little bit and really lay it on slick.

Vince
Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
If you feel confident enough about your ability to shoot the clear you can over reduce it by about 2%, crank up the air a little bit and really lay it on slick.

Vince

That is how I laid down the first three coats but still came out with some orange peel.

Now... This time I leveled everything with 500 and then used the maroon scotch brite pad it areas that did not need to be leveled. Then went in and sprayed the same way three more coats of clear and holly crap, what a difference. Very smooth. I need to sand with a 2500 or 3000 to knock out some dust nibs but almost NO orange peel. I am not sure why this works, but it does. I will be using this method from now on. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Post some pics if you get the chance. I'd love to see how it came out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« bondo | clear coat »