Help with computer with Linux/Lindows OS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Help with computer with Linux/Lindows OS

I don't know if anyone here can help with this but I'll try anyway.

We have a computer with Lindows 4.0. We bought it new 3 years ago for my son. We are trying to get a new HP 2575 "all in one" printer-scanner-copier to work with this. The driver disc that comes with the printer will not run in our computer as it is for Windows and won't work with Lindows 4.0.

The printer drivers that come with the computer do not list the 2575 as a supported printer. The printers it does list are not available locally. (maybe I could order one..maybe they are out of production...I don't know)

The drivers and utilities disc that came with the computer is useless also. (you load it in and Lindows won't read it..says it is a "Windows disc".... Unbelievable..It came with the computer.)

There is print driver software for the HP 2575 that will work with Linspire that you can download from the Linux "click and run" website, but it won't work with Lindows 4.0, only Linspire. I can buy the entire Linspire OS for about 55.00, and rebuy and reload everything we have already bought for this POS, but that just doesn't seem right.

There is also a go-between program that will let you run windows based, (or standard HP software), with Linspire, but it will not work with Lindows 4.0. either.
There is a program that HP has on their hplip.sourceforge.net website that MIGHT let the Lindows 4.0 work with the HP 2575 printer, but I can't figure out how to download it so I can find out. It wants me to select a source location and "mirror"....????? when I pick one out arbitrarily (cause I don't know what it is, so I close my eyes and pick one), it downloads a bunch of code in text form. WTH am I supposed to do with that?

If Linux wants to edge Microsoft out they sure don't make it easy. Maybe they don't want dumb guys like me as users.

We have a total of 5 computers. 4 of them have either Windows 98, 2000 or XP and work mostly ok. Only this one has Linux/Lindows. We bought it on the advice of our brother in law who is some super programmer guy. I guess programmer guys like unix/linux. Now he doesn't have the time to help get us set up. I talked to the GEEK Squad guy at Best Buy and he said to buy a new copy of XP for 200.00, or a new computer. Big help, huh?

I am ready to burn it on a stake on my front lawn....and send brother in law the ashes.

Can anyone help us with this???

thanks for reading this.

mikey.

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 06-18-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 11:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lindows and Linspire should be the same creature, as should any other linux kernal drivers. It's Debian based, so there should be lots of support for it in a more backwards manner.

What you should do is try to directly get the driver somewhere for Lindows, Linspire, and/or Debian, and see if any of those work. If not try a driver for any other flavor of Linux, and see if that works. It probably wont be a happy fun "click me and I go" thing, so you should learn some terminal/bash commands and how to install drivers directly to the root folder.

If all of the above fails get a better flavor of Linux. Redhat, Mandrake, and Fedora come to mind, because they have a HUGE userbase and technical support database. If you can't find drivers for them, drivers likely don't exist and probably wont exist for a while.

If all of that fails you're option is to buy a different printer or a windows, unless you can get someone to code you up a driver.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would think that also but the system requirements for many of the things that will run with linspire say that lindows 4.5 is the minimum. The linforwin would have been a good choice but it needs that minimum. I did download one from click and run that was for the new hp printers but it didn't have the 2575 printer on it. And then the brand new printer stopped working, so I can't even try it until I take it back to best buy.

I would like to try the drivers that come directly from the HP/linux collaberation, as those look promising, but I am not sure how to download them into the root directory. If you go to download something from that site (hplip.sourceforge.net) it asks you from which location and which "mirror" I would like to use...Is that some code interpretor in my computer?
I have a linux book 4" thick that scares the crap out of me.

So in other words, I got the lamest OS that linux sells. (it's ok,it happens to me all the time) and I should just bite the bullet and buy the linspire. or redhat or a new copy of XP?

The penguins are stealing my sanity.
My son told me to say that.

Thanks for reading this, mikey

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 06-19-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM

Dont buy linux. It's a free kernal, and all you need is a little google-fu and you can do pretty much anything to it. And start reading that book if you really want to run Linux, cause it's not really a plug&play OS like MacOS or Windows is.

www.linuxiso.org is a great place to get burnable images for any flavor of Linux you could imaging.

Do you know what the type of file being downloaded is? If it's gz, tar, or something like that you need to unzip it, so google up "Unzipping tar" or "unzipping gz" files. I belive you might also need to compile it, so google "compipling source files on linux". After that you'll just need to install it, so google "installing programs on linux from source files". It's a little complex, but only because you need to learn commands. There's lots of tutorials out there on it.

If the file is .src, or .sc or something like that, it means it's a source file, and needs to be compiled as above.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thank you MCsommereid- I gave my son that linux software site and he shall go forth. I took the printer back to the store for now until we see what printers are supported by the linux OS. I really don't want to start mixing stuff like software adapters to rig some unsupported printer.. Those things never seem to work just right.
Is there any REAL advantage to running a linux based OS? I know about it's natural defense against viruses, but for a semi regular guy is it worth it?
thanks, mike

Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM

It's free, most of the software for it is free, it isn't owned by some large corporation, there's a few things you can do on it that are easier than on windows, it's free. It's also open source, so you can customize it yourself if you're a lot more computer savvy and can program.

Really, for your average computer user Linux might be a little too complex. However, it's definately something worth learning to use, because you just gave yourself a skillset that not many people have. Keep that computer as a linux play box, if you can, and let your son learn to use it, and let him have fun. When he breaks the software, tell him to learn how to fix it. Learning linux really is the "next step", one could say, of computer knowledge. Instead of just knowing "Ok, if I do this and this it works" you can learn "Ok, if I do this and this, it goes here, and this reads it like this, and tells this what to do, and it works".

And google will be your best friend in learning to use linux. There are so many communities dedicated just to linux, and spreading it, that there is no lack of helpful people to help you out.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid

There are so many communities dedicated just to linux, and spreading it, that there is no lack of helpful people to help you out.
And we found one here thank you.
to google we will go.
mikey

Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM

You're welcome. Good luck with it, and I hope you find the solution.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

As MCsommerreid mentioned, much of Linux is indeed "free" -- in both the monetary sense ("free beer"), and the liberty sense ("free speech").

Mandrake Linux is good for those new to Linux. It has a lot of features designed to help you transition from a Windows-type environment.

RedHat Linux is preferred for many commercial uses of Linux.

Debian/GNU Linux is often considered superior by Linux purists.

---

The "Dummies" line of books are excellent for diving into a topic. There is a sizable learning curve with Linux. However, IMO, if you are willing to make the initial time investment, it will certainly pay off in the long run, in both saved time and eliminated frustration.

Also, the new Macintosh operating system, "OS X", is based on Unix. You can work from a Unix terminal, or in the standard point-and-click environment.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thank you Jon, That is really helpful to myself and my son. This is my son's computer. He will be able to make better use of his investment in time as he does not have to un learn windows and then learn a new OS with all of the new commands and such. He has been using this program for 3 years now so he is somewhat primed for it. I'll go pick up a copy of linux for dummies for us. I would not attempt this for myself ...I had enough trouble learning windows. (yes, I am that dumb) I am going to put everything I've learned here on the table for him and see which direction he wants to go. I don't ever hear him wishing for a copy of XP so he may have it in him to stay with the linux. I am glad I put this here on the board, this is a good place filled with good people.
thank you for reading this, mikey

Old 06-20-2006, 03:41 AM

Last photo:

I've been using Linux as my primary OS since '99. If you want a great starter distribution try Ubuntu, it is free, Debain based, and really easy. They will even send you free CDs if you request them. They have a pretty large community that will help you with any of your problems.

HP printers have the best support in Linux, I have 3 of them (1210 all-in-one, Deskjet 5550 and a laptop printer) all working flawlessly under Linux. According to linuxprinting.org the PSC 2500 series printers work perfectly using the "hpijs" drivers that come from HP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.