Help with continuing master cylinder problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 03:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with continuing master cylinder problem

I replaced my master cylinder with a rebuilt one. Found out that it was from a 71/72 Impala or Caprice.

The car has power brakes with front disks. Old one was leaking. Now the new one leaks. Not only did it leak but it actually sprayed the inside of my hood. Not so bad that I couldn't touch it up. But bad enough.

I thought at first it was a line, so I had a buddy pump brakes - nothing spewing anywhere. I looked at the spray pattern and it looked like it was coming from the back of the master cylinder. The cover I got with the cylinder is a little rough looking. The little slit where the gasket pokes thru to keep it in place was the only place I figured the leak would be coming from.

I thought I may have put too much fluid in, so I reduced the fluid and JBWelded over the slit. Wrapped the cylinder with a paper towel and went for a ride. Nothing when I was on flat roads. Went up hills. No spraying, but still has a big leak. Down over my freshly painted booster.

Went back to parts dealer that sold me master cylinder. They called distributor - none left and don't intend making them either. I looked for weeks to find the cylinder and I'm stuck again! They may be able to get my old one back but don't know if they can.

I have included a picture of the cover. I put a little brake fluid on top of cylider rim to show where it is positioned on gasket. It looks good, but when I yank the cover off, the whole top rim of cylinder (where it meets cover) is soaked with fluid.

Here is the picture where I patched it.

I did notice that the bail is pretty easy to pull off and on from the cover. My other ones I needed a screw driver to pry bail off. Could it be too loose? Where the heck will I find another cover? When I put the cover on a flat surface, it looks level. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Can I bend bail to tighten it up?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2003, 05:15 PM

You may be able to get a new chrome cover at Pep Boys. I have seen covers there but I can't remember if your style was there or not. I think they come with the bail wires, not sure tho....Would a different year master work? I am using a 68-69 Impala power front disc and drum rear.....GlennK
Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

that's pretty weird... i've never seen a mc spray like that, even with the cover off. sounds like something else. is there a splitter block underneath that might have a bad line or something?

JB
Old 09-30-2003, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Take the snap ring out of the back and remove the seal, take it to a good bearing and seal company, and see if they can match it up, unless you can find a kit. There won't be that much pressure inside the cap, it would have to be a fitting or line spraying!

Last edited by Wrencher; 09-30-2003 at 02:41 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.