Help with Digital Dash Install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with Digital Dash Install

I have purchased a Nordskog 6 gauge Digital dash unit to replace the one in my '72 Nova. I created a templated out of Plexiglass and mounted it to the dash housing. Electrical is not my strong point and I am needing some assistance in hooking up a wire for my dash dimmer lights. My problem is that I dont know what wire they are talking about in #3 below.

Have a look at this image: (Its my nova wiring diagram with notes)

http://www.vorshe.com/wiring.gif

Here are the 13 steps they give me for the install of the dash unit. Can someone please take a quick look and see if I have the wires labeled right? I have corresponding numbers on the link above with the number below (#'s 1, 2, 9, 10, 12 & 13 are simple to do and not on this diagram.).

UNIVERSAL 6 GAUGE DIGITAL DASH PANEL
Note: To prevent electrical noise from causing the gauges to act abnormally, check to make sure that any signal wire between the senders to the gauges does not run next to the ignition system or spark plug wires. Resistor-type spark plugs and wires that are in good condition are also suggested.

1. Connect the BLACK (GND) wire to a good chassis ground. The best location is on the engine block. The included sending units provide a resistance value to the gauges. If any additional resistance is seen (because of having the grounds of the sending units and gauges grounded at different locations) the readings on the gauges will be inaccurate.

2. Connect the RED (+12V) wire to the ignition switch circuit or an accessory fuse.

3. (NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE) Connect the PURPLE (DIM) wire to the vehicle’s headlights. This will cause the display brightness to dim by 50% when it receives +12 volts.

4. Connect the WHITE (LTURN) wire to the left turn signal.

5. Connect the WHITE (RTURN) wire to the right turn signal.

6. Connect the BROWN (HIGH B) wire to the high beam.

7. Connect the ORANGE (OIL) wire to one of the poles on the new oil pressure-sending unit. Connect the other pole on the sending unit to ground. This is an isolated ground sender, so it does not matter which pole you connect to.

8. Connect the BLUE (TEMP) wire to the new water temperature-sending unit. Make sure not to use Teflon tape on the threads because the sender must be grounded to operate properly.

9. Connect the GRAY (SPEED) wire to the tan wire on the new speedometer sending unit (if needed). A 10’ length of twisted shielded pair cable is provided with this kit. This cable is provided to shield the speedometer signal wire from picking up electrical noise, which would interfere with the proper function of your speedometer. If your speedometer displays some unusual values when the engine is running, it is recommended that this cable be used. Run your speedometer signal and ground wire from the sender through this cable to the speedometer. The shield (bare uninsulated wire) should only be grounded at the sender.

10. Connect the black wire on the sending unit to a good ground, preferably to the same location as the ground from the main digital panel.

11. Connect the YELLOW (FUEL) wire to your fuel level-sending unit and make sure that the fuel-sending unit is also properly grounded. This fuel gauge is designed to be used with GM 0-90 ohms, Ford/Chrysler 73-10 ohms, VDO 10-180 ohms and universal fuel sending units 240-33 ohms. Please see the “Fuel Selector Switch” instruction page in this manual for switch settings. This gauge reads in 0-99% remaining, not gallons.
12. Connect the GREEN (TACH) wire to the negative side of the coil or, if you are using a capacitive discharge ignition system, then use the “tach out” of the ignition box. Do not connect the “TACH” input to the coil if using a CD ignition!
13. Optional. Connect the two thinner 26 gauge WHITE wires to a remote momentary normally open switch. This switch will perform the same function as the pushbutton switch found on the speedometer. If you do not wish to use this feature you may either cut the wires or cover each of the wires to prevent them from shorting to anything.

Thanks
Jim

Advertisement

Last edited by jvgrago; 05-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I have a headlight switch diagram I will attatch.

Connect the wire they want you to connect to the headlights --to the park or taillight circuits----this way the lights will dim when pulled to the parking lamps position

Your notes are good on #7, #8, #11
(make sure you remove the bulbs for oil and temp.)
If your fuel gage was working okay to begin with---you will be able to program the GM sender.

Sealer on the the temp sender will be okay ---- if you use very little, and check for 000 resistance between the brass portion of the sender and the intake manifold or head.

USE that shielded cable for the speed sensor-----I rewired my whole car and the speedometer was getting signals from the Tach at idle---would read 20mph going nowhere-----ended up rerouting the the tach wire away from the rest of the harness.

This will be the same headlight switch that is in your car--just wired a bit differently----I wired my dash dimming to the taillights-----and later installed an adjustable pot to further adjust the brightness to anything I wanted.

DO NOT ATTATCH THE DIMMER WIRE TO THE DASH ILLUMINATION TERMINAL ON THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH!!!---this wire goes thru the rheostat and will not operate your digital dimming feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hl switch.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	29945   Click image for larger version

Name:	gages291kb.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	29946  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

From your description, the purple wire in instruction #3, I believe, is coming from the digital gauge unit and needs to be wired to a 12v source on the output side of the headlight switch.

You could tie the purple wire to either the brown wire(s) coming from the headlight switch to the parking lights or tie it to the light blue wire that runs from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch.

The purple wire dimming feature is similar to the dimming feature in newer vehicles, so that the digital display brightness is reduced for night driving.

Those gauges should look good when your finished!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

There should be a brown wire coming out of the headlamp switch about a 14gauge wire anyway that wire should be hot when park lights are on and not hot when they are off(check with a test light). This is the wire i would use for the dimmer
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys, I will have this hooked up on Saturday and let you know how it goes.

Jim

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.