Help with drivetrain control - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Decadent pianoplayer

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with drivetrain control

Need help with the drivetrain in my '68 Camaro. My problems are as follows:

* Cracked the left motor mount twice in this summer. Polyurethane next time, or?

* My rear axle is knockin on the floor when I shift at high rpm.
I have a prepped TH 350 and 2.73 gear (a part of the problem?) in the axle; will be 3.42.

The engine is close to the classic LT1 so itīs no a super engine. I have multiple leaf spring package.
I will put new bushings in the rear end and probably mount tractionbars (reflections on that anyone?). I also suspect that the rear axle is pivoting somewhat (parallel to ground aspekt). I think new bushings will remedy that problem. Or...?

Thankful for any help!
//Henrik

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What you are experiencing is classic body twist or flex... The unibody on your Camaro is getting old as are all of the body mounts and bushings as you mentioned. That's why you are breaking motor mounts. The body is flexing all over the place when you hit it hard during launches and full throttle up-shifts. You need to do a thorough inspection of the back half of the car. Check all of the leaf spring mounts, shock mounts and especially look for rust in the kickups of the rear frame rails right in front of the rear axle.
The least thing you will need to add are new body mounts. Go with rubber if this is a street car and a set of good subframe connectors. You can use poly bushings in the spring mounts but the ride on the street will be harsher. If you could put a 4 or 6 point cage in it that would be ideal. You have to stop the flexing...
Mark
Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

A good set of "slapper bars" type traction bars will solve the rear end wrap up problem, check out the factory welds on the rear end, it was common for the rear to rotate on its factory mounts after tearing the welds loose. Also breaking the rear u-joint was common on cars that didn't use some type of "traction" bar rear stabilizer.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Decadent pianoplayer

Thanx for the help guys!
Thereīs no rust at least what so ever, but Astroman is right. I wouldnīt but my bushins on a bike....
The car IS a streetcar, but I do race it on dragstrips on occation and frequently at "Saturdaynight specials" so I need it to take some "beating".
Iīm not suprised actually when you mention body flex, Astroracer.
But do you think that I need to change front bushings as well? Itīs running perfectly up to 125 mhp. Straight as a rod infact.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:43 PM

From reading your post, I'd say you're definitly getting wheel hop. This happened to me a few years ago when I first installed my 3.70 posi rearend in my 68. I actually had mono leafs, but at the time, the 400 hp small block I was running would tweak the spring so bad that the rearend would hit the floor. A good set of traction bars would be the way to go. I ran a set of SSM lift bars for a long time, and they eliminated the wheel hop. If money isn't so much of an issue, I would check out the caltracs bars from calvert racing. A few of my friends use them on their cars, and they work. Also, poly motor and trans mounts would be a good idea. I use the ones from energy suspension, and they have held up fine to the 600 hp or so Im pushing with nitrous.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Decadent pianoplayer

Iīm not too sure Iīm getting wheel hop in meaning that the wheels are bouncing. When I smoke the tires I have no problems. Only when I drag up to approx. 6000 rpm and shift to second gear.
I do suspect though that my pinion is rising during burn out too

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.