Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help!!! Drum Brakes!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzepp820

From what my manual says, I have to remove the axle shafts and a couple of things in the hub itself. Some type of nut requires the use of a special tool. All this to get the damn drum off to replace shoes. I should have bought a 1/2 ton.

The brake drum removal section of the manual says "For all models, the drum can be simply removed by pulling the drum off. Yeah right, for half tons maybe. Then I read on to the drivetrain section. Removal of hub assembly to remove brake drum. Has anyone here ever replaced brake shoes on a full floating axle?
You will need a special socket to remove/replace and adjust the locking nuts (manual should give FORD Tool No.) There will be some type of lock/retainer between the two nuts. Your manual should show how to defeat it. You most likely have 12 x 2 1/2" brakes (SW) or 12 x 3" (DW). They (brake shoes) are not retained or retracted as are car brakes. Hope the manual describes clearly how to go about replacement.