Help to figure out why heater blower motor wont work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help to figure out why heater blower motor wont work

Hello guys I have a 96 s-10 that had the motor swapped out and a 350 vortec was put in place. I know that has nothing to do but just in case it matters. Ok I used a test light and I got power to my hookup to my heater blower motor and I thought it was bad so I got a new one and it does not come on either when I turn my heater on.

I checked all my connections and have power but I don't know what else to check and to find out why i can't get it to work. I live in ohio and I will need heat soon. When I turn the switch on I hear a clicking noise and its coming from a little bosch plastic box that has a wire harness plugged into it. Dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. My dad also checked everything before I got a new blower motor and it had power to it. He just thought that it was bad. Hope someone can help.
Thanks
eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If the motor lug has power then the ground for the motor is somehow not connected. Are you checking for power right at the motor connector (single wire). The little box you are talking about is a relay and it should click. Try taking a length of 12 gauge wire from the negative battery terminal to the blower housing or one of the mounting bolts. Make sure the metal is clean, see if the fan comes on. if so you need to see why your ground is missing.

Chet
Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Thats what I was wondering but I did not know for sure. I will try that and go from there. But the connector is a plug in hook up with the power and ground in one hookup. Hope I don't sound stupid but how can I put a ground wire to that hookup when it just plugs in? Do just splice into the ground wire and try it like that? Thanks for help
Eric
Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Thats what I was wondering but I did not know for sure. I will try that and go from there. But the connector is a plug in hook up with the power and ground in one hookup. Hope I don't sound stupid but how can I put a ground wire to that hookup when it just plugs in? Do just splice into the ground wire and try it like that? Thanks for help
Eric

What he was saying is there should be a single wire for power going into the motor itself. You would run a jumper test wire from Battery + side to that terminal on the MOTOR, not the relay. (unplug that single wire first, then put the jumper to the motor)

Like was said, make sure the motor itself is grounded. To check to see if the motor is grounded, put your test light clip on a hot wire, then use the sharp point of the test light to touch an unpainted part of the blower motor body. If the light comes on, you have a ground. Now, check the hot wire that feeds the blower motor by putting the clip to a good clean grounded metal part of the body, and test that power wire going into the blower motor. If it shows power, you may have a stuck fan blade, from something hitting it.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

...when you had the motor out, does it have more than one wire going into it?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Yes when I had the motor out it has two wires going into the pig tale hookup. The one wire is puple and its the hot wire the other wire is the ground wire and its black. I get power to the hookup part. It is just a one piece hookup with the two wires kind of like a one wire hookup on a chevy hei. The motor is new and there is nothing inside to keep the fan from turning. I tried to get it to work before I put everything back together.
Eric

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.